Compare laptop GPUs?

redex

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Where can I find a comparison of laptop GPUs? I'm looking to compare the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, 9400M, 9600M GT, and 9800M GT in games like Team Fortress 2, Command and Conquer 3, Red Alert 3, and of course (Why Not?) CRISIS. I'm trying to decide between a Aluminum Macbook, or some other brand of laptop. I'm only using it temporarily as a gaming machine until I get enough cash to build a permanent gaming rig.

redex

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Thanks, this kind of helps. A little confusing though. I didn't realize the 9400M was so far down the list. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
As a general rule Nvidias mobile GPUs are better than ATI for the moment.

If you are really looking to game at a decent resolution with decent detail you need to look at something with an 8 as the second digit, IE 8800, 9800. Anything else and it will be an "I told you so" situation.

For a gaming machine, theres really no other good solution than a Sager. You could pay more for whatever, but overall the Sagers are the best bet price vs. performance with very few exceptions.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
The ATI Mobility Radeon HD3870 is pretty darn good too - you can get it in an Alienware M17. It's probably the only ATI notebook card I'd recommend right now for gaming though.

redex

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Thanks All!!!

No, I'm not gaming with a desktop at the moment. I know macs are not ideal for gaming but bootcamp can take care of that.

I'm trying to decide on a new laptop for college that will play the games I mentioned above just long enough till I build a gaming rig.

The Mac is appealing because I'm getting into djing and they seem to be the standard (plus the aluminum looks damn kool with strobes bouncing off of it). Also, the small macbook is convient for taking to class, coffee shops, bookstores, etc...

I'm not using this machine as a serious gaming machine but rather something to tide me over till I can get something better.

Yes, check my sig. My unit is an older model (about 1.5 years old) and it is a workhorse. It runs just about 24/7 using the Folding @ Home program, running the CPU at 100% all the time. Never had any issues with my system, thus have no experience with warranty service.

edit: check my member config under "More Info" since it won't display my sig for some reason.

redex

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Nobody has really answered my question if I can even run the games I mentioned above on the aluminum macbook. I saw someone running COD4 on channel flip.com. If they could do that could at least run TF2 and Red Alert 3 at medium to low quality?

frozenlead

Distinguished
I thought I addressed the mac-gaming thing, however, here we go again:

To game on a Mac decently (every mac game I've ever seen run is a slideshow, literally), you need to install windows, which completely folds the usefulness of the Mac. Any PC laptop will give you better hardware for the money with a legit copy of Windows already installed.

As far as DJing goes, I've never seen a professional DJ use a mac (except for those I've seen at this university, which are far from "professional"). Most use a PC and a program called PCDJ-FX. It only runs on XP as far as I know, though. I work for a sound productions company, so I've seen a lot of concerts, dances, weddings, parties, on and on.

All in all, I would not recommend getting a mac if you're going to game. The cost is way too high and the hardware you get for it is midrange. You can get much beastlier hardware for the same price elsewhere.

EDIT: oh, and I'd swear by my Sager.

redex

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
If you read my previous posts you would know I plan to install windows via boot camp already. Just a simple yes or no regarding if the games will play is all I require (and possibly the resolution they will run).

Many Djs use macs. I plan on using TORQ with the M-Audio Xponent.

Actually most djs use ableton live or serato along with a midi controller or virtual vinyl.