Dell E1505 won't post with new ATI X1400

JaBr1884

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
Hi,

I've been using my E1505 for several years now. I would like to get the most out of the PC for at least another year so I've been picking up minor upgrades to max out my E1505. The last piece I need is the most powerful graphics card that the E1505 can support which is the ATI X1400. I've been running the Nvidia Go 7300 perfectly fine but recenlty ordered the higher speed X1400 from ebay. When I put the X1400 in, I believe all of the lights above the keyboard (Num-lock to Bluetooth) light up for 2 seconds and then the PC shuts down. Nothing is displayed on the screen. This was supposedly a new X1400 (it was in a sealed static bag). I am running BIOS version A12 which I believe is the latest.

What I don't get is that this is a supported card from Dell and was an option when I ordered it, so it shouldn't be a compatibility problem. Also, that the card was sealed (a referb. I'm sure) so it shouldn't be DOA (The ebay seller even claimed guaranteed non-DOA).

One guess may be regarding the type of X1400 as on ATI's site, the X1400 was supposedly available with DDR2 or GDDR3 memory. I haven't been able to figure out which version the E1505 supports, nor which version card I've received.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

JaBr1884

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
Cause of problem found: I looked up the CN-***** part number which turns out the video card was an X300, not an X1400 as advertised. The seller appears to be working with me but I can't say whether this was an honest mistake, or a scam. We'll see how my RMA goes. Thanks for your help.

G

Well even if you install the the X1400 on the Dell E1505, be preapred for it to go out in abour three years and four days. Four days after my extended warranty expired. No I have a laptop which ar present and Dell Support acts like they are aware of problems. On top of that, I have een attyempting to access Forums on Dell's website for oither users experiencing problems and the website gives me ]errors as unavailable when I click on the various Froum titles with this specific problem.