HP Pavilion dv5-1133 OR Dell XPS 1530

enkay1

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
I've recently order the XPS 1530 laptop, but dell is taking forever to deliver it. It's been in production 2 weeks, and I shouldn't expect it for another 2 weeks they say. Apparently I'm lucky to get it before christmas as most people won't. Lucky their Production VP still has a job if you ask me....

I'm now hesitating between those 2 computers, and those specific specs:

DELL XPS 1530

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cadhs1&l=en&OC=NX15_F_1E

I upgraded the video card to 256mb
Added bluetooth
My Processor is actually the same as the HP below, they seem to have changed it since I ordered.

HP Pavilion dv5-1133 :

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product...3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1#

Bottom line:
The HP has faster RAM, 800 vs 667 for dell
The HP has a better video card, 512 mb vs 256 for dell
The Dell has a slicker design (my opinion)
The HP is 200$ less
The XPS line seems to be getting better reviews and benchmarks than the DV5t line but I can't seem to find any up to date comparisions.

The specs of the HP seem better, and at a better price. But the XPS seems to give very good performance. I'm not sure what to choose.

Anything I should know? What would you recommend?

I will use the computer mostly for photoshop, some slight movie editing for the internet, maybe a little gaming (3d shooters) and mostly just alot of multi tasking between internet, photoshop, music, watching movies, msn......

enkay1

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Thank you for your replies, so I'm trying to understand, even if the hp has faster memory, and double the mbs on the memory card the Dell will still perform better eventho they both have exactly the same processor?

I thought those were the 3 important things, processor, ram and video card. What makes Dell performance better than HP?

I'm also trying to understand how the dell has a better video card, isn't it the same model except one has more memory? GeForce™ 9200M GS for the HP versys GeForce™ 8600M GT for the dell.. I'm lost!

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
More memory isn't the same as better gpu.

the first number of those card (8 and 9) or the series numbers.

8 is older than 9, we all understand that. BUT the numbers after them are the series number.

the nvidia numbering is simple when you talk about the last 3! so (8)600 vs (9)200.

200<600 agree? so 200 is low end, 600-model is med-end.

so the hp has a 8600 256mb videocard, that can play games

that 9200 is lowend and can play games on low resolutions and low settings (if you talk about newer games like battlefield 2142 and higher)

so that 512mb ram should help you for playing games.

8600mGT is better in performance for gaming and all compared to 9200.

so get the Dell! and 667mhz vs 800mhz ddr2 isn't much of a deal :D you won't feel a difference if you play a game with that 9200....

i hope i made myself clear (i'm not a good English typer)

enkay1

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Thank you, I understand much better now. I guess I'll stick with the dell... Hopefully they deliver fast... I'm already sick of dealing with their outsourced customer service...

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
i recommended my brother in law his dell studio 17. but, the speakers realy suck (crackling like hell)

and here the don't have vista 64 bit, but they sell 4 gb ram. i don't understand dell :p

but, i think you can't get bad with them!

enkay1

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Well I already hate their customer service.

I'm desperately looking for another computer as I'm very worried of what it will be like if there is a problem with my dell computer.

Their customer service is rude, unhelpful and outsourced. I've been trying to cancel my order since yesterday but that's impossible to do.

The only person in the whole company who can cancel my order is the person I ordered with. That person can't take direct incoming calls because he's busy answering people calling to buy new computers. The only way is to leave him a message and hope he calls me back.

Did I mention the woman I talked to on the phone was rude and a total b****?

Before talking to that woman, I also had someone who wouldn't talk to me. He just wouldn't say a word. I had to ask him if he was there a couple times after a 10 sec awkward silence, he would say "yes" and then not say another word again. He then told me to wait on hold... and put me through an extension that doesn't exist so I had to hang up!

Dell customer service scares the **** out of me.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
ehhe :p your last sentence :p does let me think of dunham and his dead terrorist.

myself have good experience with HP customer support and garantee, but i also hear bad things about DELL.

here in my country every call you do to companies they say in the beginning: this phonecall can and will be recorded for your safety .... haha my safety? lol

you have that 2?

man, i really hope your xps will be good! hardware wise they are good. but only those speakers, mousetouchpad and lightingbuttons suck. and also the eject button (studio17) for the dvd drive somethimes doesn't open.

but hey, i had problems with my HP also.

good luck, and please let me know how it works (if you have it)

i'm looking for a new system myself. hp pavillion HDX 18 looks interesting. because for that price i can't build a nehalem system :p

TRENDING THREADS