Acer Aspire 6920 charging problem

jolinda53

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I have an Acer Aspire 6920. If I run the battery down too low, when I plug in the adaptor, the screen flickers and it says I need to plug it in and not long after it shuts down. Is it a hardware problem? can someone help me

jolinda53

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
another thing I found out is although it says it is charging it is actually discharging. If I remove the battery it works fine on the power supply

Meras0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I Have exactly the same problem as u Jolinfa 53 all the sympthoms are the same....the battery flickers and it's discharging if u are working with loptop...... have u solve somehow a problem ? i would like to know what to do !!!

awmilton

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I also have this problem. Fortunately I purchased an extended service plan. To see the life of your battery, open CMD prompt as administrator and type in "powercfg -energy -output c:\energy-report.html" and when the report is finished, open your browser and type in the address given... for me it was c:energy-report.html

My battery currently holds about 37% capacity @ 'FULL' charge, and this is just over a year after buying it.

drecklia

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I have to say, mine only last 5 min with battery, and it tends to shut off on its own even though it is plugged. Not to mention the dashboard and audio are crap. They are awfully buggy and won't work correctly.

G

When I bought my Aspire 6920, I was careful to read the battery instructions and go through the series of charge/discharge cycles - I believe it was 3 full cycles; afterwards, I always removed my battery when full. After 6 months, as a result of cats and other mishaps, I got tired of hard shutdowns due the power cord coming unplugged so I decided to go ahead and leave the battery in at all times. Although I rarely have used the computer on battery power since, 4 months later I experienced a failing battery. At the present, my battery displays a 100% full charge, but in reality there is only enough power for 2 or 3 minutes - not even enough to give me a 'must hibernate' warning. At first, the battery dropped from 100% to 99%, 98, 97, 89, then to about 5%, then a critical battery alarm would initiate hibernate; but now, it goes 100%,99%, 98%, 0% (hard shutdown). My wife has had a Acer notebook for a year longer than me and never has cycled or removed the battery, and hers is doing fine, I took good care of my battery and did not use it often, so I am thinking that it is a defective battery - but these days, I think the warranty is only about 90 days, so maybe enough people will report early battery failure, causing Acer to have to replace them, even if they are out of warranty - after all, products are recalled all the time for free replacement of defective parts, even after the warranty has expired. Overall, I like my Aspire 6920 and it has good performance, especially considering the price.

G

I don't have the flicker problem but if I try to use my laptop without the power lead, then the battery only last for about 5 mins. no matter how long I change it. windows 7 gives me a message saying to replace the battery. I still have cover so I'm hoping to get this sorted.

wagons2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I had a similar problem with my 6920 when it was about 6 mo. old. The battery would die in 5 minutes or less even though it showed fully charged. Acer was very good about replacing it under warranty though. I'm not sure this is related, but after a couple of hard shut downs, the fingerpring scanner, scroll function on the touchpad, and the multimedia console no longer work. Acer told me to download the drivers for these, but I haven't been successful yet.

G

I have the same acer 6920 i had a bettery problem after about a year and a half, but i bought a new 8 cell battery from amazon for 30 bucks, and now it lasts for about 3 hours on a full charge. The charger sometimes fail where it says it's charging but really isn't charging at all.

darrenmoline

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

I too have the same problem. I replaced it with a new battery and I watched it go from 60% to 0% then shut off. All this time it was plugged in and it said it was charging. I tryed different chargers and did not make any difference. will not power on more than 10 sec. Something is wrong with the charging feature and I can't tell if it in the charger or motherboard...