ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
hey guys what would you say the best company for buying a laptop is?...alienware and voodoo and falcon-nw are too pricy...and i customized a fairly good laptop for a good price with HP...what do you guys think is the best company to go with? budget around 1500

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
hey guys what would you say the best company for buying a laptop is?...alienware and voodoo and falcon-nw are too pricy...and i customized a fairly good laptop for a good price with HP...what do you guys think is the best company to go with? budget around 1500

I'd like to know too. I need a laptop soon..

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
it depends on what you're planning to do with it. If you need one to just do simple tasks like chatting and music/movies, i'd go for a simple dell inspiron.

If you plan on playing lightweight games... i'd go for an asus or toshiba.. you could find a decent gaming one on newegg for around 1500.

personally, i find gaming laptops a waste of money.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I see that your name is "ihateibuypower", so I won't suggest that.... :D (Not that I was going to in the first place; I hear nothing but bad from that company)

I LOVE my Dell XPS M1710. Battery life sucks, it weighs a ton, but it runs every game out right now. (Crysis scares me)

If your looking for a good laptop deal, I would watch www.dealstobuy.com. They tend to have good laptop deals. At your price range, I would look for anything with a Core 2 Duo and a Geforce Go7600 in it. That should suit you well.

Best of Luck

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
aright here are the specifics....would very much like a long lasting battery life...the glossy screen if possible (the hard one thats not like actually hard...not the typical screen), good graphics screen, will play warcraft 3 TFT on it but that doesnt take much...lots of music and movies and its gonna be 15.4 inches i know that...ill take a look at some asus ones but right now HP is the best i can find

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
IMO HP is good enough.
Toshiba is also good too, with the bonus of stability, but at the cost of appearance.
Asus is not as good as you may think, but if you want to go for that, its fine too.

Dell... i would think twice before going for it. Dell's laptop is known for lacking in stability and reliability.

Don't ever go for Sony, unless you're really into appearance. For the same money, you can have a HP with better hardware.

rninneman

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I would go with Dell. Check out www.dealcatcher.com for coupon codes that will save you some additional dough on Dell machines. Generally I've found Dell machines to be more reliable than HPs. Although, I would still get a decent warranty with it. This is an area I've have had much better experience with Dell than HP. When an HP is out of warranty, they won't even talk to you for free. If you buy the Dell through their small business division, you get US based phone support rather than India. Dealcatcher has a separate section for Dell SB too.

Ryan

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
hmm, well all 15.4 inch laptops i've ever tried (dell, asus, acer) had lasted 2.5 -3 hours with music/ couple shows and some chit chattin.. im not sure if battery life is something you should set high expectations for.

As for what viperabyss said.... im not so sure you can generalize dell's laptops just like that. Have you even witnessed this... "instability" or the lacking of reliability you speak of?

THey have different classes of laptops and the latitude series is quite a jump from the inspiron series, kind of like jumping from toyota into lexus

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
IMO HP is good enough.
Toshiba is also good too, with the bonus of stability, but at the cost of appearance.
Asus is not as good as you may think, but if you want to go for that, its fine too.

Dell... i would think twice before going for it. Dell's laptop is known for lacking in stability and reliability.

Don't ever go for Sony, unless you're really into appearance. For the same money, you can have a HP with better hardware.

My 6 yr old INspiron 8200 is still chugging along. My dads 4 yr old 8600 is running without one issue yet. My friends 8500 died after 5 yrs. Intense

Go for Dell or Toshiba. Dell constantly has better relaiblity ratings than HP from Consumer Reports and PCMag.

If all the gaming u want is Warcraft3, then you dont need a graphics card.

If you are using Vista, get 2gigs of ram.

Here is what I would get for your range:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/services/inspn/e1505_DNCWEA1?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Dell Inspiron E1505 base no warranty extesion $700
15.4" Glossy LCD (Truelife)
Intel Core Duo 1.83ghz +40
Vista Home Premium +30
2gb ddr2 533 (667is a ripoff) +150
120gb 5400rpm hd +55
dvd burner +40
256mb GeForce 7300 +100
9 Cell battery (in the e1405 got 8hr battery life :) +50

TOTAL: $1161.... that is with a 1yr warranty

Trust me get a dell laptop not desktop

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Personally I'd rank the major vendors in this order Toshiba, HP, Asus, Dell, Sony, and so on. I recently helped set my mom up with a pretty nice HP laptop, I love it and wish I had one. :D

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006

Macbook/Mackbook pro

:D

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
ehh dell is sorta out of the question, because i hate them and the laptop i got from them is shit (kinda old but whatever)...i can make the same kind of laptop from HP and i trust them more...also they have 12 cell batterys for very long life...ill look at some acer's though...and ASUS is wayyyy too expensive, but some look great

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I'd say look at HP's consumer lines, they're far and above better in build quality than Dell's. HP's business models are of an even higher quality, solid as Thinkpads and the such.

Captain_Soviet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Try the top-of-the-line Toshiba A100/A105, it's got a Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs of RAM and a Go 7600. My friend has essentially the same laptop, but from a couple of generations ago with a Go 6600 in it, and it's a nice laptop, pretty fast, and games work fine on it. Right now here in Canada, you can get the highest-spec'd A100 for $1500 Canadian, so that should translate to around $1300 USD.

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
aright here's what im lookin at for right now...
heres toshiba
Processor
Processor Type * : Core™2 Duo Processor Number * : T5500 Processor Speed * : 1.66GHz
Operating System **
Genuine Windows Vista™ Ultimate (32-bit)
Memory Size *
2048MB
Display Size *
15.4" widescreen
Display Type *
Widescreen XGA with TruBrite® Technology
Display Resolution *
1280x800
Graphics Engine *
Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Graphics Memory *
8MB-256MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
Hard Drive Size *
240GB: 120GB HDD+120GB HDD
Hard Drive Speed
5400rpm
Optical Drives *
DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)
Wireless LAN * ♣
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)
Bluetooth *
No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
Input Devices
85 key US keyboard, Hot Key Functions, Windows Key Function, Dual Mode Pad, CD/DVD Buttons, Application Launch Button
Security
Finger Print Reader, Password Security, Security Cable Lock Slot, Hot Key Security
Modem
V.92 Modem
LAN
10/100/1000
Audio
Standard stereo speakers, Built-in microphone, Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone jack (mono)
AC Adapter
75W (19V 3.95A) Auto-sensing, 100-240V / 50-60Hz input
Battery Type
Li-Ion (4000mAh)
PC Card Slots
1-Type II PC Card Slot
PC Express Slot
No PC Express Slot
Media Port
5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter
USB Slots
4-USB (2.0)
iLINK
i.LINK™ IEEE-1394
S-Video
TV-out (S Video)
Software *
Microsoft Works, TOSHIBA ConfigFree®, TOSHIBA Disc Creator, TOSHIBA Game Console, TOSHIBA Speech System, Ulead® DVD MovieFactory® for Toshiba, InterVideo® WinDVD® 8 SD
Weight
Starting at 6.0 lbs.
Color
Onyx Blue Metallic
Warranty *
1-Yr Parts and Labor, 1-Year Battery

Also Includes:
# Microsoft® Works, Onyx Blue Metallic color, 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter, FingerPrint Reader, Standard stereo speakers, Duo Mode Pad™ pointing device, 4-USB (2.0) ports, i.LINK™ IEEE-1394, TV-out (S-Video), 10/100 LAN port, V.92 modem port, Monitor port, Microphone jack (monaural), headphone jack (stereo)

Your Price: $1,329.99

AND HERES HP
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T5600(1.83GHz/2MB L2Cache)
15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
BrightView improves color contrast in your images and video.
256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
1-year HP Accidental Damage Protection with Express Repair extended service plan

PRICE $1,337.98

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115373

I bought an Acer one year ago. I was very weary about buying an Acer laptop. I have a friend in Canada that sells them, and he told me that so far they have been very tough little notebooks(he knew I wasn't going to buy one from him). At any rate, I bought my notebook, and took it along with me on my deployment to the desert. It survived a rather brutal environment. It constantly had sand and dust in it. It has been an OUTSTANDING notebook, and I only had one problem. A screw came lose that was holding the slot loading DVD drive in, and it fell out onto the tile floor about 4 times. I was still in the desert so I couldn't just send it to acer, or pick up some screws. So, I removed on of the screws holding the hinge cover on, and put it into the bracket holding the drive in. I think someone goofed, because I haven't had any problems with the drive since. For the price, I would recommend the acer. The X1600 in it does rather well for me. I play BF2142 on this notebook and do rather well.

The only gripe I have is that the notebook gets warm while gaming. You might want to invest in a laptop cooler.

I have owned Dell, had experience through family with HP notebooks, and have messed around on Macs and Alienware. For the price, unless I have missed something similarly configured which costs less, this cannot be beat.

wes

Edit: I believe the X1600 would be a better choice for a mobile GPU than the 7400Go. However, that is a very well configured HP at a good price point. I would go with the HP or the Acer(I would choose the Acer though, better GPU).

ihateibuypower

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
i understand what youre saying, but the hp is better configured for a better price, and it will be in a safe environment :D...it sounds like all this acer is is tough and hp also has a great battery and a few nice little gadgets...im looking for opinions on these laptops...which one OR do you hav ea better one with better stuff in it for same/cheaper price...thanks for input guys

Athalus_nubie

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I recomend Toshiba, not as stylish as some, but my god they can take a beating and still work. If your not to worried about banging it around then a HP should be fine too.