Putting a graphics card into a laptop with integrated graphics?

excessumcarcer

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Ok, so here is what I am asking. What do I need to do to put a graphics card into a laptop with integrated graphics?

The laptop is last years model of the Dell Vostro 1500, with the X3100 integrated graphics.

I was going to buy it from a friend, then put a graphics card in. Naturally I realize I need a new motherboard for it because its integrated, so, assuming I get a new motherboard, the 8600 graphics card, what else would I need? And, will a graphics card work with the laptop case? (Not sure if they have two different cases.)

Thanks,
Matt

frozenlead

Distinguished
You're asking for too much - unless you have specific evidence that this notebook is capable of a graphics card upgrade, I wouldn't try it. 98% of all notebooks cannot have their graphics cards upgraded.

Getting a new (different) motherboard for a notebook is like trying to replace your ECU on your car with your desktop. It can be done in extremely rare cases, and generally involves cutting new holes and modding the case.

Your friend has mobile graphics cards lying around? That astounds me...most manufacturers don't even have them like that. Make sure he has an 8600mGT, and not an 8600GT. You can't stick a desktop card inside of a notebook.

excessumcarcer

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Well the thing is, this vostro 1500 from last year could go up to 8600. But, I am getting a Vostro 1500 that isn't the 8600. There are 2 types of motherboards for it, the integrated and non integrated that needs a graphic card. I am getting the Vostro 1500 motherboard thats non integrated. So I will be putting the upgrade version of the Vostro's motherboard in. What I was wondering is if thats all I need to do.

frozenlead

Distinguished
I don't know. Notebooks are too specific and unique to know. It's likely Dell uses the same chassis and layout...but all the same, not likely. I can't tell you.

An interesting project, though. post pics and a review!

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Depends. . . I've attempted a similar thing but with no success (see Dell Inspiron 1000 vs Inspiron 1200). The problem is slight variations in the chassis will turn your seemingly shrewd mod into a $$$ crapshoot.

What you have to do is compare the part numbers of the bottom chassis of both Vostro types. . . if they match, then it will probably work.

TRENDING THREADS