Technology May Lead to Attention Deficit Disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Well, technology have created a new world where we are supposed to meet other peoples... a little like the idea of internet in ghost of a shell. As frightening it sound to be, I think we should go even further to discover where the human imagination can go.

At the same time, doing it may represent sacrificing a part of our humanity. I did this sacrifice a long time ago...

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
That sounds like what they said about TV and I am sure some newspaper articles said the same thing about radio as well. Sure there will be those like what the article is worried about, however history has shown the vast majority of people do not become that way cause we learn to adapt and use the technology that best fits our individual lives. In the long run this will be like what they said decades ago when the TV came out.

sslazio77

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
"He even added that we're short-circuiting our brains by using spell-checkers or contact lists that sore telephone numbers. " - Looks like he didn't use spell check...

G

He did use spell-check but his brain was too short-circuted to proof-read. But seriously, spell-check is pretty useful most times as I couldn't remember every spelling before either and contact lists have kept me from having to remember a long list of phone numbers which I kept in a little black book previously anyway.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
It all depends on how you use technology. I have been teaching computer/multi-media for 22 years now, and the technology does not cause ADD/ADHD. What causes it, is when parents let their kids sit in front of a monitor for hours on end playing mindless games. Kids need to get out, get dirty, and breath some fresh air. The latest research I have read states that kids should spend a max of about 90 minutes a day playing games. Sounds reasonable.

Kids who know how to use technology properly and don't let it dominate their lives are incredibly intelligent. As with anything...learn to use it in moderation.

There is something going on. My generation did not have ADD/ADHD, etc. I have also noticed that 20 years ago kids could write good computer code. Today? Hah, it is a joke. They cannot even do simple action script. This concerns me as far as our technological potential is concerned. Maybe it will all be reduced to a GUI app someday...out with the code, and in with the images.

But, technology is a great tool for education.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
ADD has already been shown to be more influenced by genetics than anything else.

Disclaimer/proof: My brother, aunt and I at least have ADD. I also dont use twitter or facebook.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
"The article even goes on to describe one woman who must drink a glass a wine to ease her anxiety from being away from the computer"

That's because she is an alcoholic...

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]ADD has already been shown to be more influenced by genetics than anything else.Disclaimer/proof: My brother, aunt and I at least have ADD. I also dont use twitter or facebook.[/citation]

Environmental factors will trigger a genetic predisposition. Put a person in the healthy environment, and they will not show any signs of ADD.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I have ADHD and I would have to say that technolgy has helped it. Normally I couldn't do multiple things because I would forget where I left off or what I was doing on my previous task (one of the symptoms).

Spellcheck is also a bad example. I use it all the time and after mis-spelling a word I tend to remember how to spell it so I find it easier than going to a damn dictionary/thesaurus to find out how to spell a word.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]It all depends on how you use technology. I have been teaching computer/multi-media for 22 years now, and the technology does not cause ADD/ADHD. What causes it, is when parents let their kids sit in front of a monitor for hours on end playing mindless games. Kids need to get out, get dirty, and breath some fresh air. The latest research I have read states that kids should spend a max of about 90 minutes a day playing games. Sounds reasonable. Kids who know how to use technology properly and don't let it dominate their lives are incredibly intelligent. As with anything...learn to use it in moderation.There is something going on. My generation did not have ADD/ADHD, etc. I have also noticed that 20 years ago kids could write good computer code. Today? Hah, it is a joke. They cannot even do simple action script. This concerns me as far as our technological potential is concerned. Maybe it will all be reduced to a GUI app someday...out with the code, and in with the images.But, technology is a great tool for education.[/citation]

I disagree with a few of your statements. One part is there definately was cases of ADD/ADHD back as far as you can think of and it was probably passed off as "that is just a stupid or lazy kid".

Video games also do not cause ADD as well, actually you think it would help you focus. This is comming from a 25 year old gamer who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. I also do all my automotive work.

As for kids nowadays writing good code... sounds like you have stupid kids or kids who are not interested in it. As for writing code, as they say it isn't for everyone. Personally I can write code (pretty good at that) however I can't do it for lengthy periods of time or I get bored/annoyed at it. Highly doubt they will go to all GUI based designs because you would still have to write the background code for that GUI interface.

After going through public school and college it definately is apparent that the public school system is a old wore out broken system. They don't teach that each individual has different study habbits and that everyone has to find out their own learning traits.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
That depends what school you go to. The school I went to was small so a teacher could spend more time with individual students. But now schools are getting so big, yet nobody wants to pay more taxes for more teachers/schools.. So.. How do we fix this..

Status
Not open for further replies.