Celeron M (1.6GHz, 533MHz, 1MB L2) worth Windows Vista

binomial

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Hy All!

I have a Acer 5210 Notebook........wanna know if I could install the Win Vista 64-Bit version on this notebook or not? cuz wen I wiki it over the net (i mean the processor),the wiki tell me that my processor is based on the IA-64 Architecture.........doesnt that also mean that ur not making good use of a 64-bit processor by installing a 32-bit OS over it (I currently have XP, and I also no one can also go for the Media Centre)...........but I wanna try Vista Sp1......I have 2GB of RAM.....Being a software engineer I know the architecture of Computers..........

A 64-bit processor can do some operations in a single go (single instruction) where as a 32-bit would take more than two-three instructions two achieve the same thing.............because of the vast instruction set a 64bit processor would accomodate!....

And hey can we upgrade processors in notebooks like in pcs' :pt1cable: .I m new to notebooks thats why asking.....mite be a very silly question :whistle: .............

Regards

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
you can't install 64 bit vista on a celeron. heck even 32 bit home premium is stretching it on most celeron powered machines. Not due to the fact they are celerons but because they are generally lower specd in terms of ram,video etc. with 2GB of ram though assuming you have an intel X3100 in it you should be ok. One quick off topic question though. if you're a software engineer how can you be new to pc? I'm assuming the answer is that you program on mac. Just curious is all. anyways though 64 bit is a no go on your machine. try 32 bit though you should be able to do it might not run everything super fast but it should run

binomial

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
thnx man......no I havent had ne xperience on macs............by new to notebooks I meant that..........I didnt have ne inside of how the 64-bit mobile processors would handle things............"64-bit no go".........It isnt a logically answer!........cuz I'd say that 64bit os's arent heavy theorotically........but lighter cuz if a 32-bit vista os issues a set of instructions..........those set of instructions wud be less in a 64-bit vista os due to the broader width of the address/data bus (broader code segment addresses i mean)............?

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Basically the short quick answer is even though your processor may be based on IA-64 architecture (I think wiki might be wrong on that) the fact remains that a celeron is a 32 bit processor still granted if it were 64 bit it'll process most efficiently with 64 bit code however with that said there's not a lot of apps written for 64 bit windows yet. honestly stick with 32 bit for now unless you have a very very compelling reason to go 64 bit

binomial

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008