Getting the blue screen of death on my laptop

watsss

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
I turned on my Toshiba laptop today and I got the blue screen of death and it turned off by itself and when I tried to reboot it nothing happens not even the Toshiba sign comes up like it usually does and I don’t even see the blue screen of death either. I'm guessing it’s the laptop hard drive that’s the problem. If I replace the hard drive you think that will fix the problem because I don’t want to buy a new hard drive and spend the time replacing it to find out that wasn’t the problem. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

frozenlead

Distinguished
It's either a driver conflict or a major hardware failure. Remove everything you can from the notebook: all external plugs (except power), CD drive, hard disk, one stick of ram, and fire it back up.

watsss

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
I Just bout a new hard drive and I installed it in the laptop and I still have the same problem the screen is fully black and nothing happens but I do hear the fans running inside. Can someone PLEASE help me I need to get my laptop fixed before tomorrow for school. Thank you

frozenlead

Distinguished
Did you unplug everything? What was the result? Why did you buy a new disk? You don't even know if that was the issue.

Edit:Whoa, wait, nice hijack watsss.

Well, did you do what I said in the first post?

watsss

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
No I didn’t remove the internal components of the laptop but there isn’t any external things connected to it. The reason I didn’t remove things like the CD drive and the memory is because I was thinking if it was a driver problem those drivers would be installed on the hard drive and if I replaced the hard drive that would fix the problem so I didn’t see the point of removing all the internal components. If I am wrong about this please reply back and tell me what to do. Thank You

frozenlead

Distinguished
The problem with removing your hard disk is you remove the control environment. If you take out all the drivers, you don't know if anything works at all. The point of removing specific components is that you can find specifically which device driver is failing - then simply replace or update it. Getting a new hard disk forces you to reinstall the OS, which may or may not come out okay. You may have wasted money by doing so when you could have just updated a driver for free, solved the problem, and not had the hassle of reinstalling the OS.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
No, if it's no posting. . . hmm. Sound's like it just gave up the ghost.

I'm willing to bet even if you did take out all the drives, battery and RAM, you'd still get no post. Of course, do [try that anyway. Best case scenario for you is you RAM inexplicably died.

Also, after you've removed everything, do try to conect to an external monitor just to make sure there's nothing screwy with the internal display.

I'm just really pessimistic on this one, though-- that you've got a bad mobo.

dayslikethese

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011

I know this is an old post from a long time ago, but your advice worked for me. Thanks lots..x