Inspiron 6000 SD card slot Code 10

ekt19

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I have had a Dell Inspiron 6000 for a little over 2 years and a couple days ago the SD slot stopped reading all of my SD cards. I have spent hours looking at online forums for answers, searched for driver updates (only to find mine are the most recent), updated Windows and done everything shy of ripping my hair out.

I tried the SD cards in my desktop PC and they all work just fine, so I know the problem isn't with the cards. When I look in the Device Manager I see a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point and when I double click on that it tells me I have a Code 10. I have no idea what this means and don't want to spend a ton of money going through Dell's tech support since I'm no longer under warranty. Can someone tell me how to fix this, please? I'm starting to get really frustrated :??:

ekt19

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the device at least half a dozen times. I've also gone through the troubleshooting suggested through the Device Manager and none of that worked.

How do I reinstall the drivers? And what should I be looking for inside the SD port?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Download an app called driver cleaner pro - I'm pretty sure that it will remove any and all drivers from your system of a specific device. Then reinstall the drivers you can download from Dell.

In the SD port, look for debris, contacts that may be corroded or broken off their tracks. You don't have to know much about electronics to see if something's wrong - just look for something discolored, not straight, etc.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I don't know. . . it would be nice if it were a software glitch (and it still could be); but, Code 10 is usually hardware malfunction. It is one of the more difficult problems to fix.. . .

[EDIT]You could try a live spin of some OS (Fedora, Knoppix, BartPE, ect) and see if any of those initialize your card reader.

ekt19

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Do I download the OS online?

I downloaded Driver Cleaner Pro, but haven't run that yet. Is it going to delete ALL my drivers or just the one that's having the problem?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Yes, you can download live cd's of linux online from various places, free of charge.

Driver cleaner will delete all your drivers if you tell it to, yes, so be careful with it.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
The Fedora and Knoppix you can download. . . BartPE you have to make yourself, but I list it as it is Windows based, rather than Linux based.