ASUS G Series G50V

applestar13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Hello all!

I am planning on making a purchase soon and needed your input.

I am interested in a laptop from Asus:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220378

I will mainly use the laptop for school but I want the laptop to be verastile not strictly just word processing.

The specs looks good on it but, I have own an Asus Laptop before and it was super slow; although that was an 11 inch or 12 inch. I couldn't even install any games on it :(

How is that comparable to the Mac Air? (I heard lots of bad stories on it though; but I like the design) I want something that small and light but I do not like Apple's OS. Is there a product that is similar the Mac Air with Windows OS?

Also, I want something that is funky, out of the ordinary not some boring old black or silver laptop. Is there a good brand that does that besides Sony Vaio?

Thank you!

frozenlead

Distinguished
That's a gamer's notebook, if you aren't going to play intensive games, it's a waste of money.

There is a machine that's actually better than the Macbook air - smaller, lighter, more features - the HP Envy 133. I'm not sure if it's out yet, but if you google it you'll see pictures of it - it's a sweet machine.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Also in the vein of the Air and Voodoo Envy 133 is the Lenovo X300 its also around $2000 and does have a on-board DVD burner (Official Lenovo price is $1,896.10).

Also interesting is the IdeaPad U110, but that is an ultra portable.

applestar13

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008

The only game that I would actually play is World of Warcaft...not graphic intense at all I know. But I want something more than I can use just case.

The envy and the Lenovo looks nice. Something that I would purchase. How would it be for gaming?

JessMyz

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
The Voodoo Envy isn't really a gaming computer - but you can definetley play WoW on it.

In terms of wanting a funky looking machine (a.k.a. something other than black or white) Envy offers some wicked customization options. Not sure how much these will run you, but they look beautiful.

You can check them out in Envy's Flickr gallery

http://flickr.com/photos/30324339@N07/page2/

easterstuf

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I own a Asus g50v I bought from new egg. Its a gamers laptop. I Love it for its size its power packed plus the free backpack and gaming mouse is very nice. I currently run EVE as my main game it runs it on full graphics very well now here where it rocks i use 4 eve accounts and can run 4 clients XM radio and surf the net without any noticeable lag if i do anything extra after that the lag hits. all in all I would say that is petty dam good for a laptop my Alienware 8800gts sli desktop couldn't handle it without lag. I blame it on the AMD processor mostly. Plays crises on high with no hiccups for the price of 1280 bucks Im am one happy camper and I have a nice bag to boot. recommended A+++++

PS. I own a 4 year old asus z96j laptop. the key board stopped working after the first year. Sent it back they payed the RMA 1 day shipping there and back i had it whiten 4 days returned and working. There 2 year warrenty rocks and i am really happy i have the same warranty on the new laptop

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Actually, it's not just for gaming but engineering and programming as well.
#1 from being able to handle an Extreme CPU but also 2 hard drive slots.
The G50V(T) can handle an X9100 Extreme CPU overclocked via throttlestop, to about 3.45GHZ 100% stable at 1.3125V.
Temperatures stay at about 80 degrees Celsius at 100% load of the CPU and GPU, with the upgrade to the Forcecon DFS541305MH0T “F8U5” fan, and dremeling out the fake subwoofer so the fan can bring in fresh air as the air intake.

Very nice and flashy laptop. Very speedy with this high end CPU and doesn decently well with games.