laptops in japan vs US

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Hey all,

Anyone have anything to say about laptop purchasing in Japan vs. the US? I'll be going to Japan for a bit pretty soon, and was wondering if I should get get something before I go, or while I'm there. Currently, I'm looking for a gaming notebook that I won';t have to replace for a few years. The following configuration appealed to me from HP (dv7t series):

– Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
– Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4 GHz)
– 15.4" diagonal WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1680 x 1050)
– FREE Upgrade to 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
– 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
– FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
– [For BrightView Infinity] Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
– HP Color Matching Keyboard
– Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100AGN and Bluetooth(TM)
– Integrated 56K Modem
– LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
– No TV Tuner w/remote control
– High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
– Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
– HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

for a final price of $1428.99, which is pretty much at the limit of my comfort zone financially. I'm trying to cap it at $1500, but I probably have some leeway. I really don't know what's available in Japan, or how much different the market is in terms of pricing, but I do know where to get the goods if I should decide I wanted to get one in Japan (basically wander around in Akihabara for a while...).

Any tips/info would be helpful!

(One last bit: At the right price point, I would be willing to go for something more exotic, if it's one of those things that you can only get in Japan or are really hard to get in the U.S.)

-Kallenin

frozenlead

Distinguished
There is a gateway FX series notebook that beats that computer's hardware config and a lower price, you might want to look there.

However, if the price is cheaper overall in Japan, buy in japan. Just make sure the manufacturer will give you support in the US.

powerpack

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
The Gateway is going to have much better GPU but I believe weaker CPU at the lower price. I am confused, you mention Dvt7 then list 15.4? I don't know Hp's up and down? But 7's are 17"? 5's are 15.4"?

Price and components look good for price. I thought the HP you list might have heat issues, and with a Nvidia card even 9xxx series kinda scary.

It is my understanding you will get more for the dollar in US than Japan or Asia or anywhere else. Also buying retail with a weakened dollar cannot help. Unless someone else know better US purchase likely best bang for the buck.

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Thanks for the input. I think I'm setting my eyes on that Gateway P-7811FX. Unfortunately I just missed a sale--they were going for $1250 at Best Buy a few days ago! I think I might try to hold out for another sale, but I'll probably get it in like a month if there isn't.

-Kallenin

Status
Not open for further replies.