breddo

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
I'm putting together a new pc and wondering if its possible to stream live tv content to a media player attached to my lan. I'm thinking maybe using some type of media server to capture the content and stream it via UPnP. Does anyone know if this is possible?
I've read some press releases about a product from Cyberlink called TV Server but can't seem to find any real information about it. Is it a real product or just vapourware?

IVAces

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I'm not sure what you're after but, there are a couple of appliances that tap into your computer if you have Media Center.

Something else you can do is to put 1 or 2 tv tuners into your pc, and use either snapstream 4 and its streaming content add-on or if you feel comfortable enough with linux, you can use myth tv or knopmyth. Knopmyth is a livecd so you don't have to install any linux on your pc. Myth has a front end back end arrangement where you can have 1 or more servers and 1 or more head units (pc's) attached to tv's. I can't vouch for how easy or difficult it is to configure the myth as I haven't done it yet but there is a lot of support. The idea I'm working on is getting a mini-itx or nano-itx pc and use to boot a minimal linux os that can boot a terminal server session into either a linux running myth or a windows os running snapstream.

good luck!