HELP:HDTV+COMPUTER+RECIEVER SETUP

TkdRO

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I have a 51" DLP toshiba HDTV. Planning on getting the HDMI to DVI cable. So basically im going to obviously run the dvi from the computer to the HDMI input in my TV. However DVI does not have an Audio signal. This is where i need help on. What would be the best way for me to be able to use my reciever with my computer.

Setup:
1-COMPUTER CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO HDTV THROUGH DVI2HDMI CABLE
2-HDTV CONNECTS DIRECTLY TO RECIEVER USING MONSTER A/V, S-VIDEO

If confused, please let me know and i will try to explain it better.
Thanks

TkdRO

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Could it be as easy as just connecting a line from my line out(soundcard) to line in(reciever)???

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
i was away to suggest if you are going from a comp to a monitor then you could just use a digital connection if you have one from your soundcard to your receiver.

actually why don't you just use the connections on the back of the soundcard or is it a HT system which uses RCA conns.

vesuvan

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I'm thinking about getting a similar setup. Do you have a nice computer that you use for gaming? If so, how does it look on that big screen? What's your system specs?

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I would imagine you would want to keep it digital? I would get a sound card that has a optical out and connect it to your receiever that way. Will get perfect sound.

obeewaan

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I totally agree with Mikey, You can get Optical cable out from PC to your receiver.
Afriend of mine has the same set up and it works great.

For gaming, I was told to make sure your HDTV has good enough refresh rate.
8ms or less is considered good.
Alienware used to make good Gaming PCs with MCE set up, but I'm not sure if it changed since they were bought by Dell now.