Boy Uses Pancake Inquiry on Facebook as Alibi

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Great...So i can use a laptop to Remote back into my house computer, send a Facebook update, then rob a bank and get away with it. AWESOME!!

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
This could set a precedent for other people to try to abuse this. What if he did take part in the robbery but he has somebody post this from that particular computer so as to trick the system?

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
it's certainly possible to log in remotely from a mobile device or laptop and easily make the post from the home computer, but I have my doubts that someone posting "ON THE PHONE WITH THIS FAT CHICK . . . . . WHERER MY I HOP" would have the know-how to do this... somebody should explain to DA that this sets a pretty dumb precedent. Good thing a judge didn't make that assumption.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Duhhhh that's what happens when you get corporate weenies who don't know J@ck about the internet/computers or how it can be used. LOL, pathetic and these guys are the ones who are SUPPOSE to be protecting us!! Lets get some real cyber knowledgeable ppl in there...please.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
There are SOOO many ways to have an account post something on the net while being somewhere else... Logmein and even somebody else are two simple examples

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Did they check his phone records to see if he was on the phone. Did they check with the fat chick to see if she could back up his story. This doesnt sound like the whole story to me. I bet they checked his phone records, and facebook, and talked to the "fat chick".

wherrertr said:
Great...So i can use a laptop to Remote back into my house computer, send a Facebook update, then rob a bank and get away with it. AWESOME!!
Given what the suspect posted I don't think he was intelligent enough to think of something this intricate. That or he is a diabolical genius whom spent his life setting up the persona of an idiot.

G

Bloody hell about a 1000 reasons why just because it says it came from a computer doesn't mean
a) it actually did come from that computer (remote desktop is a wonderful thing)
b) it was actually him that posted it.

Maybe we could all go out rob a bank and at the same time get our girlfriends to post a message on our facebook account...or maybe use a remote desktop app on a smart phone to use the browser on our home PC to post.

Maybe even spend 10 minutes to write a piece of code that automatically goes to a website and posts junk at a specific time.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I think they must have had a weak case to begin with. So a piece of weak exculpatory evidence was enough for them to drop it. If they'd had a stronger case, then they would probably not have accepted that since he could have just left his computer logged in with a status update written and told someone to hit the ENTER key at some certain time (hence no chance of tracing back a remote access).

G

He is a 19-year old innocent kid caught up in the mix...lucky for him he was online at the time...all other commentary about his intelligence says more about the authors than it does about the kid...

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Well, that depends on the details of the case:
Why was he accused of the robbery? UK's got cameras, do they show him exiting/leaving his house in a timely fashion? Does his dad know his facebook account? Do they show him leaving his house directly after this?

If those are satisfied, then dismissal approved.

G

I do not believe this status update to be correct, because I have seen in the past for myself when my step daughter I thought had just posted status update on personal sight on my space ,but to my surprize it was done much earlier in the evening but the time it showed on her sight was incorrect I know this for a fact. I really think this might of also happened in this case the same way.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
"A boy accused of playing a part in a robbery was been released after his attorney used his Facebook status to prove his innocence."

Ah. Was been released.

Sorry Jane, I didn't finish the rest. If you can't fix simple errors in your headline I have no confidence in the rest of your article.

I'm sorry if that is rude but this is a Technology News and Hardware site. If you can't edit your own paper properly or find someone else to edit it you really don't have any business writing in the first place. This isn't middle school although I would probably expect a middle school student to be able to locate that error.

Sad. Sad how far Tom's Guide has fallen.

Status
Not open for further replies.