Looking for a laptop for home/travel/school use ($500~ USD)

elsporko

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Saw this in another thread so I guess I'll post this layout thingy >.> sorry, new to this forum.

1_What is your budget?
Around 500-600 USD

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14/15 or so

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Nothing too ridiculous. Around 1280x800~ is good.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
Around 2-3 hours. Preferably more towards the 3~ end :D

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not really. Any hardcore gaming will be done on my main PC at home. I'll probably slap on some older games like Morrowind, maybe some Valve games like CSS and HL2. Nothing crazy.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
Surfing the interwebs, music and movies, maaaaaybe some photo/video editing but that would most likely be done on my desktop PC. Of course probably some note-taking and such for school, but that most likely wouldn't be a problem with any laptop.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Again, nothing too ridiculous. Around 250gb would be ideal. Anything higher would probably be overkill.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
-Preferably a canadian site like NCIX or tigerdirect, but if not, shipping it to the US and bringing it across wouldn't be a problem.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Not sure. Not looking for an expensive laptop, so obviously it wouldn't be concidered high-end at all.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
-

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
-

13_What country do you live in?

Canada

This laptop doesn't necessarily have to be powerful, just nothing super weak that I'll regret buying in a year. I probably won't be doing anything heavy on it, and I might end up formatting whatever comes with it and putting Ubuntu on, not sure.

I've looked around and found a few that interested me:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4006361&CatId=17
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=31468&vpn=LX.ALE0X.066&manufacture=Acer

The first one caught my eye moreso than the second. 250gb HDD is a lot bigger than others I've seen for that price.

So, could anyone recommend me a laptop similar to this?

TRENDING THREADS