Re-install windowx XP using an external device??

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hi, I have just bought a laptop at auction and found the internal cd writer doesn't work. I have full access to the laptop, that is windows xp runs fine at the minute. However, I wanted to re-install XP to start with a completely clean system.
If I buy an external CD/DVD writer will I be able to use this to re-install XP....note I will not have to boot from the external device as the laptop boots fine from it's HDD.
Thanks
Colin

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Short answer: yes.

Replacing the "internal" optical drive not an option for you? Actually, is it that windows doesn't detect a drive or windows detects the drive and it doesn't work?

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Thanks for the reply dwellman.

Windows detects the drive but it doesn't work on any cd I use. I've looked in device manager and the drive shows up. It also states it's working properly! I've tried troubleshooting it but that hasn't helped.

The other issue I have is I can't update drivers via the internet as I can't get onto the internet without loading my broadband providers cd!!

cheers
Colin

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Ok, the fact that windows detects the drive means that the interface is still functional, and if it is determined that your drive is indeed dead, you can easily replace it.

Now as for loading your ISPs drivers. . . if you really have to do that (I never have) then: Use have a flash drive or anything you can use to transfer the necessary stuff off the CD using a computer that has a functioning optical drive.

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Thanks again for the response.

You're quite right, I didn't have to load my ISP disc/update the drivers. I just plugged into my router and got straight onto the internet....shows you how much I know about PC's.

Managed to network the laptop and do a windows xp repair via the optical drive from another pc. This left me with a display problem....page offset to the right. Managed to cure this by downloading new drive for the video card from Toshiba. So everything going well at the minute.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Usually "drivers" off the ISP CD do nothing more than rebrand IE and make their page your homepage. The only ones you usually need are if your using the USB interface instead of the RJ45, um, Ethernet (sorry), and even then its best to let windows detect the device and search the CD (or whatever) for drivers. . .

TRENDING THREADS