set up 4dtv 922 then lost the dc light

computeman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Every thing was set excellent picture ,2 new hot lnb's.new coax leads,dish re-peaked this was sat afternoon then I lost the dc light on G1 03 ,167 the spot for downloads and I have also lost other channels ,and cannot get X4.
Went through all the tech people and its come down to a reciever fault.
Anyone had this

tdti1

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005
Is anything else working? the dish could be mispositioning because of a bad reed, the 4dtv is very sensitive, did you try bumping and adjusting the skew?

computeman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
almost everything is working seems I have lost certain channels that belong to a certain transponder.
This is why the people think its the reciever ie g1 166 perfect picture high quality signal strength the 167 nothing no dc light no signal
Also the supplier from ohio on the lnb's suggested that a shorted out vcII board can cause this to happen ,i pulled the board but it still happened.

tdti1

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005
G1-150-166 are on a stronger transponder, 167 and up are on a weaker transponder, a VCII+ board has no effect on the digital side, this sounds like a alignment issue or the feed not being centered, what lnb's do you have, what is the stability, I would not get anything without a LO stablity of 250khz or atleast 500khz the lower the better, is there anything in the line of site of the reflector? trees, brances or houses, this can cause problems, it is normal that sometimes a lower cost lnb will perform better on a cooler night or on a cold day, and not work good on another day.

If your dish is smaller than 8.5' then you are experiencing adjacent satellite interference caused by 2 degree satellite spacing, if your dish is larger than 8.5' and there is nothing in the way then it is the feed being off or the dish is off, a tech with a spectrum analyzer is recommended.

With the low readings you are getting on Starz, I do not see you locking any of the HBO/MAX feeds on Galaxy-1R.

If the dish is working on other birds, and digital and analog are coming in then the 4dtv is not at fault, there is a fault at the receive site, and a good tech with the proper tools should be able to resolve the issue for you, or you can do it yourself great info can be found here:
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp2.html

Though a tech with a spectrum analyzer would be your best bet.
Good Luck.

computeman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
thanks for the info.My setup is a 10foot stainless segment dish(andrew),corotor II head 17/.6 c/ku head (had an older gardiner 25/.7)
When i got into this and saw all the weakness on the digital I replaced the coax leads,replaced lnb's and have had the dish peaked by a tech.
But you have a point about a real clear shot ,g1 is low for me so there is good shot but not an open field or anything.I get most hbo/max/starz/flix etc feeds and picture is real good.IE G1 166 76 qual,159 78 qual,165 76 qual then 167 1 qual,saw it once last night at 34 and g1 03 1 qual.
Since sat this has been happening and the dish has not really changed much ,the peaking that was done was 1/2 at the top end ie T4.I have checked the centering .34 all around the feed.
So you're saying I may as well stick with my vcII board ,some tech say if it has a short it can cause problems ,but surely you would not have a picture then

tdti1

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005
I have never ever heard of the VC board effecting the digital channels, if so take it out and see what happends, you do not even need a VC board unless you sub to analog.

What quality are you getting on the HBO V and H feeds on Galaxy-1R? the FEC rate (forward error correction) that HBO uses makes the signal harder to receive than that of Starz, the Starz chennels on 150-166 are very strong though on 167 and up they are weaker, the guide is on transponder 3 along with the encore channels 167 and up, you can try bumping and playing with the skew to get the best quality though if there are trees or other objects blocking the line of site you may not be able to obtain the guide.