Laptop 24/7.......

EdzBourne

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I've built systems for 5 yrs now...and most of my PC's are running 24/7....
All of them are still running fine....but I've noticed that when running 24/7 at stock settings, the 1st component to give after 2 yrs or so is the motherboard....

of my 3 PC's, 2 of them have been changed with a new motherboard....its ok because motherboards for desktop are easy to find....

My father gave me a laptop and i'm gonna be using it when traveling to our 2nd house far away, there's no other PC there than the laptop that i'll be bringing ang gonna be staying there for long...

So my question is, how will laptops perform when running 24/7....????

I run the laptop in my sig 24/7 while running a Folding program. My temps stay around 55-60 C at 100% load. I haven't noticed any sort of performance decrease and I don't think there should be any. I would assume that laptop motherboards are built a little more rigorously than desktop counterparts, since laptops tend to run hotter from the get-go. You may want to consider buying a cooling pad for it depending on how warm it likes to get.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Assuming temperatures are at a reasonable value, the laptop mobos shouldn't be any less reliable than desktop ones. I can't say, because I don't leave mine one constantly, but in laptops, it's usually the heat that kills components first. I'm still not sure on the operational lifespan of mobos though, because I'm pretty sure it depends on a variety of factors, like voltages and temperatures.