Dead Video card in Laptop

kevoEFC

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Hello there,

There is a Dell Latitude D800 in work and the GPU has died, its a Nvidia Geforce 4200 Go. Problem is in the UK I'm struggling to find anywhere that sells replacement Video cards for laptops. Any help with that?

The external monitor connection doesnt work either obviously, I imagine the Svideo out wont either, not tried it yet?

Besides saving the parts for spares, does anyone have any ideas on what could be done with the laptop if a card cant be sourced? Any way of bypassing the need for the card and setting up remote desktop on it to run a simple file/web server or something else not requiring a screen?

Cheers

Killah_Kal88

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
What you want to do first is to see if your laptop is still under manufacturer warranty. Having the unit sent back for service is probably the easiest & cost-effective way to have the problem solved. GPU is not easy to fix as most of them are built onto the motherboard. Even if your GPU is not built-on (which is doubtful), a replacement laptop GPU is very expensive and hard to find.

There is no way for your to use the screen or any remote computer to view the monitor if your video card is a bust (at least none that I know of).

kevoEFC

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
It isn't built onto the mainboard as Ive had it out.

It is out of warranty by at least 12 months.

When you say very expensive, is that very expensive when compared to replacing the whole laptop or just compared to a Desktop GPU?

As you say though they are difficult to find, I've managed to find nothing.

Possibly the only way to get one would be to go straight to dell and see what they say?

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Yes, better go to dell right away and see what they said.

I had similar problem with my ACER, I had to replace the board, and it would cost me around 400$. I guess that's the only way if I want to put it work again.

Well, like he said it's out of warranty so it will cost him just to talk to Dell. Your card is a dedicated card and is replaceable, but it's an old one so finding one is NOT going to be easy. It is also probably going to cost you between 200-500 dollars. At that point you may need to consider how much it would cost just to replace the unit.