Is My Laptop Dying?

fanboys_must_die

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I have a 1 1/2 year old Dell Inspiron B130, and recently, my program operation speed had become obnoxiously slow and one day, my windows wouldn't even boot.

I reinstalled windows, and it ran fine until last week, when the programs began to run obnoxiously slow again... I checkdisk and it found a whole bunch of errors... I reinstalled windows and it ran fine...

I immediately bought a new HD from Newegg and installed it... not wanting to take any risks. Reinstalled windows... Ran fine for a day, and the programs started to become obnoxiously slow again!

I checked ram with Memtest and there was nothing wrong there... I don't know what is causing these problems with my laptop. Please help.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Have you run your antivirus and antimallware software? Even though a clean install would eliminate if you keep going to the site or installing the program with could reinstall the stuff. Could also go into msconfig and disable programs that could be causing this and then allow them to start up one at a time until you find the culprit

fanboys_must_die

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
yeah, I checked all that and I followed your recommendations with msconfig.

Sometimes this computer works just fine, but it still takes over a minute to boot into windows and programs are kinda sluggish at first.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Taking more than a minute to boot and log in is normal if you have McAfee or some other such resource hogging antivirus (I know this from personal experience. Stupid resource hogging).

How slow is obnoxiously slow?

fanboys_must_die

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Well, at first, programs take like almost a minute to start up, then as the computer gradually warms up... it becomes normal.

I can standby and hibernate and have it resume in normal operation speeds.

Oh, BTW... I only have 1 GB of RAM... and FSecure Security Suite... but my computer still ran slow when I disabled my Antivirus and all other extra services and Startup programs.

I also have a black screen of 10 seconds or so between the windows loading screen and the welcome screen.

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
While 1GB should handle your system another 1GB should speed things up and RAM is really inexpensive right now