xeRoCoOL

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
please help me decide weather to go for IPOD nano or video IPOD.And i would also like to know can i play vids frm my pc on the vidopod or do i have to download em frm the itunes site ??>??. :?

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
depends what you need that for. Remember nano is flash memory (safer for data) but only 4GB. Video iPod is 30 or even 60GB.

Unless you know why you are getting iPod and not:
Cowon, iRiver, Archos or Creative
I would not buy the iPod.

There are better products out there that cost you same or less but support more codecs including most popular ones: divX and xVid - iPods don't. Converting vids is hassle and you have to know what you are doing or you pay for it thru itunes. Still, quality is mediocre compared to other products.

Have a look here, just to have a perspective:
http://www.everythingusb.com/creative_zen_vision:m_30gb.html
Myself I played with Cowon a2 and Video iPod and Cowon's a2 is waaay better. Now this Zen Vision M is probobly even better then any of these two.

If you feel you must get Apple's ipod get nano. At least it looks great. Until it is scratched. So buy anti-scratch stick-on shield. Or it will look like that after a few days:

http://media.arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.media/nano_cardrop_evenmorescratches.jpg

YJ2k2

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I owned a iPod nano, but I recently returned it and bought myself an iPod video. I've owned many other mp3 players as well, from Sony, MPIO, to Philips, but I must say the iPod is the best player in terms of design and ease of use.

Yes you can put video files from your PC onto the iPod. There are many free converters out there (just google them). Although from my experience it does take a while to convert, depending on how old your PC is.

I highly recommed a case or at least something that protects the screen. Deep scratches shimmer the screen and can ruin your video watching experience. In case you didn't know the battery life for videos is rated at 2 hours, so if you care a lot about video I'd recommend shopping for other brands.