Windows Vista 32bit unable detect full 4GB RAM.... Help!

lychee_lch

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Hi All,

I have bought a Dell Vostro 1400 with Windows vista 32bit. I am doing some simulation on vmware. Thus, i have installed the vostro with 4GB of ram. However, it only detected 3.5GB. Could anybody tell me is this normall? How could i "redempt" all those 4GB ram. Thanks for advise !

Merry Christmas !!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

lychee_lch

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Thanks for all the reply. Does PAE help? I cant find a detail PAE info. Anyone tried usng PAE to "redempt" those missing ram ?

Many thanks !! :hello: :hello: :hello:

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
32bit can address 4GB, but what that involves depends on the system, and how it's used, because it takes up some of that possible address space to account for various other parts of the system which eats into that address space for IRQs etc.

Vista SP1 does 'see' the full 4 GB but alot of that is still going to be eaten into. Here's a quicky explanation including SP1's new support at softpedia;

http://news.softpedia.com/news/32-bit-Windows-Vista-SP1-to-Handle-a-Full-4-GB-of-RAM-74239.shtml

oh yeah, and PAE basically improves this to allow you the full 4GB of memory and prior to SP1 it wasn't allowed to access but the bottom 32bit of the memory, thus negating the benefits of PAE.

G

I got the same problem too. How ever I earlier used Vista Ultimate Sp1 32bit and it detected all my 4 gb of ram. Now I got Vista Business 32 bit (without SP1) , and it don't detect it anymore. :pfff:

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
yeah only sp1 and sp2 will make you detect 4gb but depends on your laptop you might see 3.7 or 3.6 instead because it will be used for graphic and processor ect..but yeah you get the pont

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
SP1 detects 4GB, but it still uses less (2.5-3.5 GB, depending on the other details of the system). The full visibility is just to placate the users.