Coming to Australia in Feb, need help choosing a laptop.

Acethechosenone

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I will be coming to Canberra next year in Feb and since I need a laptop for around A$ 1,000 I was wondering should I buy one when I get there or should I bring one with me. To give you an idea of prices here, I can get an

HP DV 6000 (Core 2 Duo 1.6Ghz, 1gb ram, 120gb hd, Vista Basic) for A$ 1,075.72

or

Acer Aspire 5720 (Core 2 Duo 1.5Ghz, 1gb ram, 160g hd, Vista Home Premium) for A$ 1,075.72.

These are the ones that are competitively priced, higher spec are overpriced. I hate Vista but unfortunately thats all they are offering. I am in Pakistan BTW. I would really appreciate some advice. I am also thinking of ditching this laptop idea and getting a desktop instead ( I hate laptops but space matters in dorm I am afraid :( )

Any advice would be highly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

I choose the second one,

1_1.5 doesnt have a very noticeable difference with 1.6
2_Vista HomePremium has lots of more features than Basic
3_The ACER one has more HDD

are the graphic cards the same ?

Acethechosenone

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for replying.
The configuration being sold here has 8400m GS2.

Kind a ironic that even when I get a core 2 duo I still won't be able to play the games I want at high detail!

I agree with Maz. Of the two the Acer would be the better option. Recommendations here in the laptop section are going to be limited. There are only a few of us that frequent this section on a regular basis.

Acethechosenone

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks a lot guys, now I found this:
http://www.mln.com.au/product/?itemID=261&typeID=23#

Its the same price as those laptops available to me here only it is in Australia, I hope they still sell those 3 months from now. It is so much better.