help needed connecting laptop to the TV

rustix

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
My laptop has a 7pin S-Video out port and the a VGA out port. Is there any ways i could connect my laptop to TV so that I could use my TV as a visual display unit?

btw my TV doesn't have a S-Video in port..

rustix

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
nope it only has the VGA and SVideo.. actually i bought a Svideo adapter but it didn't work.. any idea why?

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
The S-video adapter should work. There should be a way to cycle through various video modes on your TV, or at least have a TV / Video switch. Have you tried that after hooking up the laptop?

danmarhk

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Assuming that your laptop is functioning properly, you should switch among different display/output modes.
Just like what ibleet said, you should find the keys or buttons yourself, as this varies.
Typically, there is a button with the symbol like the picture attached.
In my case, I need to press Fn (Function) + F7 to activate the window showing me the various modes of display.
(I'm using Lenovo 3000 N100)
Hope this can help you, rustix.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
You also need to go into your laptop display settings and change monitor options to get output to the TV through S-Video. Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier.

rustix

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007

already did that but there wasn't a difference

and yeah someone suggested that to me as well but i can't seem to find the option to get the output through SVideo. I'm having an Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 video adapter by the way.

danmarhk

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Rustix, I guess you should choose display unit no. 2.
Before that, you may need to check the advanced options and set the display card to give output to both units when you choose display unit no. 2...