cdboot: memory overflow error (help me with this please)

gamefreakxxx

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
when i try to boot my windows xp cd on my laptop i get cdboot: memory overflow error. And i can not boot my cd at all. I am trying to reformat hdd again because i installed windows xp professional and it asking me for a password. I did not put a password but it still asks for one. And if i just press enter it says "could not find domain, or it does not exist." if this probelm can be solved then there is no need to reboot. But i would appreciate if i can get help for these two problems one or the other so i can get my laptop to work again.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Maybe the cd is dirty or scratched and your cd-rom is having problems reading the disc.Or perhaps the cd-rom's laser is dirty and needs to be cleaned.

bbengr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
I had the same error on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200), and can duplicate it on other laptops by removing the hard drive.
So check your bios to verify it still detects your hard drive.
Once the hard drive is installed, I can successfully boot to the XP-Sp2 cdrom (legit backup cd). Strange message, but it's been noted in other posts as a hard drive issue with users leaving their hard drive power unplugged on desktop systems and receiving the same error.
hope it resolves your issue.