Compaq Presario M2000 is dead

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
Hi,
I need some help with my Presario m2000. One day, it decided to die on me with no signs of life in sight. I looked at it closely after taking it apart, and it seemed that the DC power jack was at fault because it was torn apart. I ordered a new jack online for about 3$ and now the electricity flows right through that board no problem. I thought that this would fix my problem, but nothing still happens. I left it plugged in overnight to see if it would charge even a little, but nothing is getting warm at all beside the transformer plugged in the wall. Also there is no voltage drop at the plug, like the system isn't using ANY of the power supplying it. My next guess is that this board is at fault:
b4_1.JPG

its the voltage converter to charge the battery etc, and has the on/off switch, wireless button, volume buttons, etc.

OR....i think this may be more at fault:
382413-001_dp.jpg

this is the battery charger PCB..I'll check if a charge goes through it later today after work..

I looked at mine closely but couldn't find anything that looked wrong with it, didn't see any loose solder joints. If someone can suggest something, please do.. :pt1cable: any help is appreciated. thanks!

sk8naveia

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I'm having similar problems with my Compaq Presario M2000 notebook too. I had to wiggle the adapter to the power connector of the notebook or my laptop battery won't charge and won't turn on if the laptop doesnt have it's battery on. That metal thing which I plug into the DC gets extremely hot very quickly in matter of minutes also. Now its almost black as toast but the adapter is still working though.

I've been looking for information on how to dismantle my notebook to get access to the DC power jack but looks like there's too much risk involved. Too many screws to look out for and thin wires in the way. Almost made me feel like Im defusing a bomb or something. Im a college student living on college budget and couldn't afford to buy a new laptop and the warranty is already up. I bought the laptop only 2 years ago. I've been taking good care of it and have never abused it.

I would really really appreciate it if anybody could give me a guide on how to dismantle my laptop and get access to the DC power jack. I's gonna cost me $120 if I were to send it to the shop to repair. I really believe the problem is loose power jack and only needs resoldering. Please help!!! My email address is hafiz_felix2000@yahoo.com or Instant Message me at hafiz_alone2006@hotmail.com

It's hard to go to sleep without knowing what's to come. Any help is welcomed.

makapoor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Hello,

My wife's Presario M2000 is having the same exact issue you mentioned in your note i.e. "That metal thing which I plug into the DC gets extremely hot very quickly in matter of minutes also. Now its almost black as toast but the adapter is still working though."

Their seems to be some issue with power circuit of the laptop itself because it destroys the metal connector of the AC adapter.

We have already replaced the AC adapter twice and the power connector is now burnt again.

Were you able to resolve this issue on your laptop?

Thanks.

midnightraver

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
I have the same problem with my Compaq M2000. It started when I changed out the battery. I suspect that the load on the circuit is too high when the battery is charging so that as the battery dies it runs hotter and hotter as the frequency to charge the battery goes up.

My battery life is pretty bad now, thinking of swapping the battery and repairing the AC jack...

Sorry, can't be more help other than to tell you that you are certainly not alone - my search for compaq m2000 power connector problem on google turned up 9000+ hits :(

itisme0002

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Mine is doing this now too. I have been through two AC adapters in the last week - both now have burnt tips, and the laptop is running very hot. Anyone find a fix?

elias626

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I have a compaq presario m2000 also. I had to go through 3 power connectors ($350) and 7 battery chargers ($150). I have the same problem as all of you people. I have to put the charger in a certain position like bend it towards the right or left to make it charge. The tip of the charger burned me also. There's a big problem with this laptop. Hp/compaq should have a recall.. I bought the laptop for $500 and spent $500 fixing it.

ssindahl

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Remove the CMOS backup battery (about 1/2 inch in diameter by 1/16 inch thick) located behind the speaker assembly and to the left of the memory cards. You cannot see this battery until the bottom cover is removed. Instructions for disassembly are online at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00312740.pdf. You may think this sounds strange, but I am telling you a bad battery will cause the system to act like it has failed. You don't need to put a new battery in unless you want to. Just be sure to remove the old battery and don't put it back in, not even if you clean it up.

Many people have the main board replaced due to this problem. Of course, replacing the main board will fix the problem because it comes with a new battery. So take my word for it and give it a try. What do you have to loose other than time.

Ronin Mastodon

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I'm having exactly the similar problem with you guys here now... it all started last night when I was operating it, browsing here n there. As the 'low-battery' sign appeared, immediately I plugged the DC power jack in. But only seconds b4 I plugged the other end to the wall, everything on the screen disappeared just like that ...n no signs of life even after I replaced the CMOS backup battery (ML-1220) with a new one. :pt1cable:
To tell you the truth, dizis the 2nd time I experienced such failure in 5 months. When I had it for the 1st time last September, I sent my Presario M2000 back to the dealer to have it repaired. He did say it was the MB n there was nothing he could do but replacing it with a new one. So I had to spend some Rp800,000- (Indonesian Rupiah), which was US$80- averagely, for a new MB.
I had to agree with him, since I know too little about hardwares. :sarcastic:
So, pls tell me, how I should fix it... coz I couldn't afford to buy a new one. Thank's and GBU... :hello:

dethsite2

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I suspect you got a faulty dc jack, it just needs replacing ..

I'd also expect 3rd party batteries at fault as sometime these batts may not contact the internal pins correctly causing a minor short..

take the laptop to a service centre and get them to replace the power module..

luisiph

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

djscott1979

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Hi has anyone tryed removing the CMOS backup battery like the last post said, would love to know if this works so I can fix mine, I took my M2000 apart as I was told it could be the fan blocked up with dust (was a little) I also tested this battery it was full of life so put it back in. If I take it out will the laptop work if so what does this battery do and how long will it last without a battery??????

ryu184

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
The problems everyone is having will be solved by dismantling the laptop and either replacing the DC Power Jack Board which will run you $50-$75 for the replacement board or if you are comfortable with soldering you can just buy the replacement DC Jack for under $5 and desolder the old one and solder in the new one. (if you're careful its an easy to medium difficulty job).

I've had my Compaq Presario M2000 for over 6 years and it runs great except for when I run into this problem. This is the only remedy for this problem as far as I know and even with that I have had to go back in and resolder in new DC Jacks (however it may also be worth noting I use my laptop heavily for personal and business). I guess this is a defect with this laptop.

As far as removing the CMOS battery I have done this and it only led to me having to reset the date and time every time I powered on my laptop. So based on that I do not recommend removing this or messing with any other parts on the mother board before replacing the DC Jack board or soldering in a new DC Jack as this has worked every time my AC adapters started getting hot and melting.

brick2toaster

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I have the same issue. There are a lot of screws and wires when taking these models apart but it is worth it if the computer is already disabled.

The power adapter plugs into a little power circuit that then plugs into the main motherboard. The engineering is pretty good considering this is a lower class of laptop. Most laptops in this class have the jack on the main board and when it eventually break - your done - go buy a new laptop.

Anyways, it is this little power circuit that is giving the problem. The little board plugs into the motherboard using the SAME round connector as the power brick/supply. You can by-pass and confirm this smaller power board is the point of failure by plugging the power adapter right into the motherboard. You should l see everything liven up. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the little board between the battery and the motherboard as displayed above.

A note while repairing. I have done exactly as one of the other posters suggested and installed another square power jack on the little power board. I have also had to go back in on a monthly basis and retouch the soldering points. One observation I will make is that the OEM power jack has a metal shield - which acts as a ground point for the mother board. I believe this is the reason why the external power brick gets so hot after the new jack is installed. Without this metal sheild there is a flaky ground with the replacement jacks which will likely not have this metal sheath and I would assume this might cause feedback into the power brick.

Next month I'm likely going to by-pass this little circuit entirely by plugging in directly and and hard wire the brick into the laptop.

Don't mess with the CMOS battery - the little coin battery that was recommended for removal.

I would try using a different battery. This laptop is long in the tooth and is likely drawing too much power as the battery cells get weaker.

$(KGrHqZ,!hQE2fKuI4(jBN6+r+zwY!~~0_12.JPG