First Lap top

p62982q

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I am about to buy my first Laptop ... I need dual core min ... I interface with external hardware via serial port > 100000 baud (some USB) my programs do a lot of floating point ... up until now I have used desktop computers some slow (400 Mhz P2) some fast (AMD 3800+) ... I now need to operate in the field (backyard, on mountain trail or in a moving vehicle) ... my main concern is speed and serial ports (the more the better) I usually have 12 volts at 20+ amps (100 amp hours) available ... the new machines come with Vista (BAD) ... I would need to be able to change hard disks ... some times using Win 98 some times Win XP or even good old DOS ... so I need a machine that I can buy and change hard disks and put my DOS, Win98 or WinXP OS ... I would need video drivers for these OS's ?? ...
Is this doable?? ... and what would be a recommended Laptop to do this ...
Jim

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
You've been a member here for 37+ years and you have 3 posts. :pt1cable:

Ok so now for your question...I'm not sure what you're asking here.

You want a laptop with serial ports? Only an older laptop would have one and it wouldn't have a dual core. I'm not aware of being able to swap out hard drives, but what about a dual boot setup? And yes, different OS require different drivers.

I've never seen a question like this, so I'm gonna have to say...doubtful. :??:

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
ibleet, apparently anyone who's been here before the forum overhaul has the ancient Joined date. Also, just to point out, my Executioner has a serial port. :D

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
To the OP: I can't think of a laptop that can quickly remove its hard drives...you /can/ however, get one with a really big hard drive, and set up a dual boot or something, which would essentially do the same thing I think.

Yeah, A dual boot should work. My bro does it with Ubuntu and XP on his Inspiron 9300 (tiny 60gb HDD). And yes, our lappy's are bad a$$ with their serial ports! :D

p62982q

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks for the replies ... dual boot would work for W98 and XP ... by removal of hard drives, i mean I could remove some screws and bolt in a different HD ... the drivers would be questionable (I just don't know if a manufacturer usually makes drivers for old OS's) ... that Toshiba looks like something useful ... it would be nice if you could boot on an external device ... I really haven't been a member since 1970 ?? joined earlier this year ...
again thanks for the replies
Jim