Please save me from buying yet another laptop!!!!!

Sirbella

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I sure hope someone here is kind enough to help me! I own a Sony VGN-FS920, for those of you that don't know the weak ass stats, here they are:

■ 512 MB DDR2
■ 80 GB
■ M Processor 740 (that burns a whole in my leg at night)

I was having issues with my laptop being incredible slow, from booting to running programs. I went to Best Buy and purchased (2) 1 GB memory (Corsair VS1GSD667D2). Since then I have had issues with booting (physical memory dumping), and a very unstable machine. I removed just one memory chip to see if maybe I had a bad one and once I did that, it appeared to be working ok, but very slugglish. My programs were taking 25 to 45 seconds to load.

This morning I turned on my computer and it started to act back up again with the "physical memory dump" and I immediately took out the last new memory that I had purchased and placed in machine and replace with old 512 MB card, no more booting issues, but all programs are running so slow that it isn't worth having a computer.

I would assume after hearing this, that it would in fact have to do with my memory, but I can't imagine that I bought 2 lemons from the same place, is it possible that they are not compatable with this machine. Any help I can find would be wonderful and greatly appreaciated over here.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Well, it's possible that it's not compatible, but also, Best Buy only seems to stock value ram, the cheapest of the RAM family. So you can't exactly expect quality depending on what brand you buy. Run memtest86+ overnight or something to check if it's actually something wrong with the ram.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Check the voltage of the RAM you bought as well as the BIOS settings for your RAM if memtest86+ shows everything is OK

TRENDING THREADS