HP 6710s WinXP mouse cursor shape problem (G965 driver?)

cxl

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Hi,

HP Compaq 6710s, G965 chipset, T7300, Windows XP installed.

I have a weird problem with mouse cursor (mouse arrow) - the shape changes "lag" up to several seconds.

E.g. I am moving the mouse in Internet Explorer (or Firefox) through the upper section of screen. It should be arrow when pointing to toolbar buttons and change to I-beam when in current url editor - but the arrow shape does not changes to I-beam, it is still arrow. Only after one second (or even more) it eventually changes to the right shape.

I believe that this can be the driver problem, as when I uninstall G965 graphics drivers, everything seems to be OK (but otherwise, 800x600 sucks:). I have tried older drivers too, did not helped.

Has anybody experienced something similar with G965 based notebook (or desktop) (if it is a driver problem, somebody should have noticed...).

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Does sounds more like a software problem with IE or a page you are viewing is doing something in the background, or you have other processes taking priority.

I have experienced similar weirdness in both Opera and FireFox when something fash is loading or something is happening in the background. Open task manager in these times and leave it on the performance tab and minimize it, then the next time it happens see if there was a big CPU or memory spike around the time it happened.

cxl

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006

Well, that was my first though too, because in fact I have first experienced the issue in my own software.

However, further investigation revealed that the same problem is visible in all applications. And task manager shows zero cpu usage.

Furthermore, another indication was that when I slowly move the cursor over the edit field, it "jumps" a bit right down and then back. That indicates that cursor hotspot is in fact correctly changed (I-beam has different hotspot), but the new cursor shape image is not displayed.