Acer 3680 WiFi disorder

UberKrieger

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
(This is is partially quoted from someone's issue and tweaked for mine)

I bought an Acer Aspire 3680 a couple of days ago. It has integrated wireless LAN. I installed Windows XP Professional SP2. But the wireless LAN was not detected. The device manager shows me that there is an unknown "Network controller". I decided that the problem is that I don't have the driver. I downloaded all lan drivers I found on acer's website. But none of them worked. Than I tried the driver for their Invilink something. Didn't work again. Now actually I don't have wireless LAN.

Anyone experienced something like this and can give some directions?

Thanks

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Sometimes there is either a hard switch or a Fn key combination to turn on the wireless.
The LAN drivers are most likely for the wired internet. The InviLink 802.11b/g is their wireless card, bu tit also says there may be options so it may not be the one.

Try turning it on, and see if it is found. I hate to say it, but a couple turn of the screw would give you access to the make and model of that wireless card and get your driver woes taken care of. I couldn't easily find any "definite wireless card in that machine. I would say the Intel 3945 would probably be a good bet for second place in that race.