AMD Turion 64 X2 and budget of USD $1250 (approx.)

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Hi,

Due to cost reason I am thinking of buying a bit less expensive Laptop... I have some question related to the thread's subject:

■I assume that amongst AMD processors, AMD Turion 64 X2 is the fastest available for laptops. Right?
■What are the disadvantages if I buy a Laptop which has AMD Turion 64 X2 which is considered to be at par or ideally better than an Intel Core Duo 2 CPU with 667 Mhz. FSB and 4 MB L2 Cache)
■Can you kindly provide the model #/CPU# details of the AMD"s processor which meets/exceeds the above criteria
■Are there any advantages of going with AMD rather than Intel?
■Are there any disadvantages of going with AMD rather than Intel?
■Is there any price difference between the AMD processor (that you are recommending) versus an Intel CPU with the provided specification

May I request for your top 3 recommendations is your budget was around U.K Lbs. 650/ USD $ 1250.

I would be running XP Pro and NO gaming. I have no plans of going near vista as long as possible :)
Mainly the Laptop would be for software development, lots of SQL server related things, and ofcourse use of standard applications like MS-Office, etc. etc. The most I might do (on the graphics side), is use Adobe Photoshop.
The quality of sound/speakers is something that is important . I have seen a few Acer Laptops with literally terrible sound. :eek:

Many advance thanks for your reply, advice, and especially the top 3 recommendations.

Compared to other AMD CPUs, the Turion X2 is the fastest. The Turion X2 is comparable to the Core Duo. The Core 2 Duo is faster though. If you get an AMD CPU, get the TL-60 or better (they go to 64 I think). Right now, the Core2 T7*** series will give you the best performance available. Laptops with Intel CPUs tend to be more expensive for the performance premium. 3 good companies would include Dell, HP and Asus.

morland

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it :)

Asus???? Never heard of this before? Any URL for that?

BTW, How would you rate Sony Vaio FZ140E (I know it's beyond my budget) but would like your opinion.

Thanks.