Sony Vaio VGN-AR21B...How to install XP

minstrel

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hello...

I have a problem...I Can't install Windows XP in this Laptop...Originally this laptop has the XP(French) but I wish to install the English version...I "killed" the recovery partition with "Partition Magic"...and when I start the format process with the XP cd it says that it can't find any boot devices (disc units), problems with SATA or RAID drivers...from what I've heard, the windows XP cd doesn't have the necessary files to start the format. I need the SATA drivers or RAID i think...I went to the Intel website and I download (I think)the necessary files and built the floppy and start the process with (F6) menu and nothing happened...I couldn't format it...I need help with drivers (the chipset is i945PM) and the format sequence.

I think "you" know what I'm talking about (about this problem)...

If someone has the drivers or know where to find them I would appreciate...and if someone could just tell me how to do this, the right way to format with XP cd step by step...(maybe I'm not doing the right way)...I would appreciate the help also.

Please Help...

Best Regards to the forum community...

g-paw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Are you booting off the CD? One of the options is to do a full NTFS format prior to installation and then install Windows. This will wipe out everything on the partition or drive you format. If the drive is partitioned and the OS is on C, just do a full format of C anything on the other partitions shouldn't be affected although it's always good to back up you data first if possible.

bodkea

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Hello,

I too have the same problem with my laptop "Sony vaio VGN-NR21S" whatever "minstrel" has mentioned. If you had resolved the issue, it would be very much appreciated if you could let me know the steps.

Thanks a lot in advance...

Regards.
bodke

G

I have the same problem.
sony vaoi vgn-fw21z seems to have a hidden partition.

i formatted in dos (fdisk & format c:).
rebooted, then put in xp setup disk, rebooted, xp starts doing the setup and after a minute or two in the install:
this is the bluescreen message:
(a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: check for viruses on your comuter. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f for hard drive corruption, and then restart computer. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF78D2524,0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)

i used partition magic 8.0, and tried all different formats (fat, fat32 & linux 1&2), both in single primary, and primary + logical.
same error message as above
result: xp setupdisk refused

i checked bios settings, but that doesn't seem to have any other settings other then "restore factory defaults".

i'v done 100's of setups, but this is making me downright ... :-(

greetings, frrr

sariya1

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hello

I had a similar problem with an Lenovo laptop with a SATA hard disk.
The problem occurrs because the early versions of XP disks were shipped without SATA drives. Therefore during the installation XP fails to detect the hard disk.
There are 2 solutions.

First solution is the simple one and it worked for me. Check the BIOS setting for the hard disk. Enter the bios screen and if the setting shows a SATA drive then change it to Auto Detect or what ever other option your laptop shows. Save this setting and start the XP installation. Hopefully this time XP will detect the drive and give you the option of reformatting the partitions and you will be OK from then onwards.

Second solution involves making a copy of your XP disk and adding the SATA drivers to it. In order to do this you will need a third party software. I used a trial version of 'nlite; program. You can download this from www.nliteos.com and there are instructions in the website how to do this. You will of course need the SATA drivers from the manufacturer of your hard disk.

Hope this works for you

sariya1

Kish

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I have the same problem.
sony vaoi vgn-fw21z seems to have a hidden partition.

i formatted in dos (fdisk & format c:).
rebooted, then put in xp setup disk, rebooted, xp starts doing the setup and after a minute or two in the install:
this is the bluescreen message:
(a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: check for viruses on your comuter. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f for hard drive corruption, and then restart computer. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF78D2524,0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0x00000000)

i used partition magic 8.0, and tried all different formats (fat, fat32 & linux 1&2), both in single primary, and primary + logical.
same error message as above
result: xp setupdisk refused

i checked bios settings, but that doesn't seem to have any other settings other then "restore factory defaults".

i'v done 100's of setups, but this is making me downright ... :-(

greetings, frrr

Hi,
Have you been able to resolve this issue related to XP setup?
I am also having same problem and my laptop is sony vaio VGN-NS190J. I did all above steps but not able to resolve the issue, its again coming with the same error message with (0x00000007B).

PLease let me know if you did some thing for this.

Thanks
Kish

Vash The Stampede

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I would go get a linux distro and see if that would bring up a partition or if it would see it atleast. If it does, install and then try to install xp over it

woco

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Somehow I can not edit my last post, so a reply to myself instead. I have found the solution for the VGN-FW21E. This might work for other notebooks as well. I did modify the 3450 VGA driver(google modded ATI) because the driver on the forum(link) did not work. I still am working on the bluetooth part. All the other items run fine :D

This is the link(I think it will work preventing the Windows XP crash with other Vaio notebooks as well):
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=338742

muvvakumar

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hello all,

The solution is simple.

Have a USB based Floppy disk handy with you.

when booting go to BIOS and enable boot with USB devicesd also.

Install XP operating system and press F6 to install third party drivers.

before doing all this go to http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNNS190JW&upd_id=3748&os_id=7

and download the file unip it to floppy and have the floppy and floppy drive ready connected before installing XP.

If you want to dual boot between XP and Vista 64 bit read this article, very nice one -
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

Have a nice time

Rgds
Kumar
muvvakumar@gmail.com

G

amd motherboard sony vaio vpcee2s1e had windows seven,now both seven and xp .my solution very simple- get driver from here http://files.3dnews.org/pub/drivers/ati/?desc=name .driver name- 11-6_xp32-64_raid. begin installation and choose directory to install.installer will extract package and create ATI directory.from now it is no need to continue since we have the driver in ATI folder C:\ATI\Support\11-6_xp32-64_raid\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\RAID\xp driver name ahcix86 - setup information. you need it for Nlite,to integrate in your own personal setup cd. download Nlite http://www.nliteos.com/download.html or http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/nLite.shtml. install-start load yor xp files from cd or from hdd and next next next click on integrate driver and make bootable iso then next then insert single driver and find it C:\ATI\Support\11-6_xp32-64_raid\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\RAID\xp then ok and yes then next and burn the iso on blank cd.good luck! worked for me!