Quality of Acer Laptops?

grapz

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Does any one have any experience with Acer laptops?

I'm planning on purchasing one. Do they last long? Hows the battery life, hows the over all quality?

sephirothXR

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Dude Acer laptops are some of the best out there!!! Their new Aspire series are great laptops, and I think you should listen to this recommendation: Get the Acer Aspire 5920G.

Core 2 Duo 1.5 Ghz(only downfall)
2 GB DDR2 RAM
nVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT(AWESOME! Supports DX10)
160GB HDD
HD-DVD drive
Vista Home Premium

Just guess the price.

$1099
Get this thing now, you won't be disappointed! If you have more money, wait for the 7720, or if you really have money and want the ultimate laptop, the 9920 is the one you want. That has 1080p resolution, 20" screen, can't get much better than that!

Seriously though, this is one of the best laptops I've ever been on! So small, so portable, so fast, and the built in webcam and speaker is better than most I've ever seen in a laptop! It's cheap, and you know it is, and it's a great deal, you won't find many laptops with a graphics card like this, drive like this, or ram for this cheap!

qb55

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
i have the aspire 3100. got it for 629 from tiger direct. i love it, but have upgraded it for 300 to include dvdrw, 2gb memory, 160g hdd, bluetooth module.

dublrfrm

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I just got an Acer Aspire 7720 laptop for Christmas and am having some issues with it. After shutting down normally, if the laptop has been turned off for more than a few minutes, it will not start back up again unless you press the on/off button 2 or 3 times. If it has only been off for a few minutes, it will start right back up with one press of the on/off button. One time, it wouldn't even load Windows and I had to reload everything from scratch. Anybody else out there experience this problem? If so, do you know of a fix for this? I am afraid to put anything really important on it for fear I wil lose the information. Please help!!

kenzz0

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Hp, Dell, Acer...doesnt matter, they all have same quality components. Mainboards mainly produced in China by HannStar, HDD are the usual manufacturers, memory - the same....what DOES matter is the warranty and the service support whch is quite different from company to company. I think Dell's full cover is the best arround as it covers physical damages as well.

thp777

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
acer is the way to go
i got an acer aspire 5050 made in 2004
started as a single core turion 64
with 1gig ram
80gb hd

recently swapped in a
dual core turion
4gb ram
and a 250 gb drive

was easy to get apart to do upgrades

if you are buying new go with the gemstone blue series

they have a intel quad core equiped one on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115542
for 1699 which is one hell of a deal
next shipment comes on 15th

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Acer laptops are amazing. I've had mine in sig for about 2 years now. I have upgraded the ram from 1GB to 4GB and I'll be swapping in a 500GB HD soon. was a great deal back then at $799 and with throwing in a little money it keeps up to newer machines in it's price range

sirrap2

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I own an Acer Aspire 5150 I purchased about a year and a half ago. Low profile system, but great for school purposes and couldn't beat the price of $399. Came with only 1GB of memory but since it was running Vista Home Premium, installed another gig. I'm happy with this, would recommend going with Acer. Great product, no probs here.

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
the casing is cheap, it usualy breaks easy. if you're buying an acer you should get extended warranty because their motherboards always seem to have a design fault.

swamy_g

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
ACER is really a bad brand. I have a 5580 series and started giving probs six months after purchase. The power button was out, dead pixels.. you name it. My friend who had the same laptop got a fault in his motherboard. They took over a month to replace it, under warranty. I just gave my acer to repair since it is not switching on and they are charging a lot for just a basic service (after warranty). What you end up saving when your purchase an Acer you end up paying the same for repair later. Its best to go with a Dell or Lenovo. Dell does all the repairs at place itself. Forget Acer, its one of the biggest mistakes I made in my life.

caniba

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
As with swamy_g, I had a Aspire and it was great I loved it, until it died at six months. It had ram errors and the MoBo died. Switched to a Toshiba and it has been going stong with no issues for over a year.

hjoab

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Customer (Holger Andre) - 09/08/2009 03:56 PM
Ok, look at this you may like it
http://hjoab.blogspot.com/

Response (Prince_GWSI355) - 09/08/2009 02:51 PM
Dear Holger Andre,

Thank you for contacting Acer America. I’ll be happy to assist you with the Repair issue.

As per our records, your computer is out of warranty. I apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced.

However, please note since your computer is out of warranty, repair will charge you $199. Please note that you have to pay one-way shipping charge for making a depot repair. If you are ready for Depot Repair please let me know. I will do the needful after receiving the confirmation.

For further clarifications please visit our web site http://www.acerpanam.com

Have a nice day!

Respectfully,
Acer America
Online Technical Support

Customer (Holger Andre) - 09/08/2009 11:45 AM
CORRECTING TYPING
So, what you are telling me is that I bought a piece of *** from you, that you know that and that if I want the piece of *** working again, I must pay you $199 more. You are thieves, and someone must do something to stop you. YOU ARE THIEVES!
Adding: ACER is the worst computer computer I know on quality (***) and service support (*** too). You are double *** company. I would be very embrassed working for Acer, knowing there are many descent people like me feeling robbed by your company. Don´t you? You could revise the independent products rewiews about Acer on Internet. You smell like ***.

Customer (Holger Andre) - 09/08/2009 11:14 AM
So what you are tell me is that I bought a piece of *** from you, that you know that and if I want the piece of *** working again I must pay $199 more. You are thieves, and some must do something to stop you. YOU ARE THIEVES!

Response (Sreekanth_GWSI685) - 09/08/2009 01:10 AM
Dear Holger Andre,

Thank you for contacting Acer America.

As per our records your computer is out of warranty.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced.

If you are interested, we can pull your computer for depot repair. However the repair will cost $199.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site: http://support.acer.com
Have a great day!

Respectfully,
Acer America
Online Technical Support

Customer (Holger Andre) - 09/07/2009 09:22 PM
I took my Extensa to Sauter Infomax Acer representative here in Costa Rica for the many problems I have with it. They validated my 1 year warranty and try to fix it up. They replaced the keyboard, the power bottom, the screen light cable, a RAM chip, but all the fixups weren't enough and the notebook is becoming even worse in time. The network card connector is now broken and after two trips to Sauter Infomax the problem with the screen light turning off any time you open or move the notebook is even worse now. I told them that the only descent thing that Acer must do is to give me another new machine cos this one is obviously an exceptional bad assembled one. You can even take this one to revision and try to find what's wrong on your line of production that makes possible a
malfunctioning notebook like this one to be sold.

Auto-Response - 09/07/2009 09:22 PM
Title: Upgrade RAM in the computer
Link: http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=360&p_created=1250861026

Title: Aspire One Recovery Procedure For Linux Operating System
Link: http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=288&p_created=1219763718

Title: Optical Disc Drive will not eject
Link: http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=359&p_created=1250859549

Title: Resetting When the System Does Not Power On
Link: http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=4&p_created=1194963676

Title: International Traveler's Warranty
Link: http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=10&p_created=1195151988

Question Reference #090907-001171
---------------------------------------------------------------
Product Level 1: Notebook
Product Level 2: Extensa
Product Level 3: Extensa 5620
Category Level 1: Others
Date Created: 09/07/2009 09:22 PM
Last Updated: 09/08/2009 07:13 PM
Operating System: Windows Vista

Serial Number
---------------------------------------------------------------
LXE540X04181316F802000

[---001:004858:07207---]

babycakeco

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I have an Acer desk top that I purchased 12 years ago and have upgraded, abused and beat the heck out of it, simply from user frustration and naturally the speed, since it is OLD for a computer...But it still works and I have not had any serious problems with it....
In fact I have purchsed a new Acer desktop unit and a laptop as well and could not be any happier with the products I have...
In fact the Old one sits for months at a time without even being turned on and I can fire it up, still works but my gosh is it slow....but it was top of the line back in it's day.....and it still works....
I use it sometimes because the older programs I have on it will not run on the Vista OS, so I keep it around for those times when I want to do something with a Graphic Program....yeah it takes a little longer...But it does what I want it to do....
I have even talked the office where I work into purchasing Acer computers and they have...No problems with them, at least they have not fired me for the choice.... ; )
So if any one asks me I would recommend Acer......

bettyfan1

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I bought an Acer TravelMate 290 9 years ago and it was the best purchase I have ever made. It has traveled with me and has never had any repair except when the lcd screen broke(Dogs fault). Other than that the hard drive is just now starting to have some slow dying issues and wireless stopped working. I feel I got the best quality ever since most are dead by now. I would highly recommend an Acer. I am in the market to purchase one now but this one is still working.

I also had a son that has had bad luck with HP, Sony, and Toshiba. I also have repaired many laptops in my history of computer repair. Hope this helps :)

I would say that the TimelineX and TravelMate series would be Acer's best quality laptops. Their other laptops would more or less be average. I have seen some really, really bad quality models though.