lightest 15.4 with 8600m gt or better

cattlebaron

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Its time to upgrade my laptop and I am looking for the lightest 8600m gt with a 15.4" wxga+ or better resolution. I have found it hard to search by video chipset, screen resolution, and weight. I really don't want one that is heavier than 6.5 pounds as my current laptop is 6 pounds. I use these for work and play. It seems like most of the Asus are 6.8 or more. The Dells are 6.5 with the 6 cell, but I would need the 9 cell for most of my travel. The MBP seems to be the lightest one but surely someone else makes a similarly equiped and weighted Wintel machine.

Any help appreciated.

EDIT** I decided to put additional specs in to help.
I need 3+ hours of battery life doing moderate work. I was thinking of the 2.2 or 2.4Ghz C2D with the Santa Rosa chipset. I mostly do basic stuff for work (ie. domain admin, server management, email, word, etc) and I play a few games when stuck on the road. Heaviest use games are Oblivion and WOW.

Wow, finding that type of laptop is proving to be harder than it should be. The Asus G1 is the best deal I can find, but like you said it's over your desired weight. I was going to suggest the HP DV6500. It's 6.1lbs but only comes with an 8400GS. Gateway doesn't have anything with a DX10 card so their not even an option. I can suggest that you look at the site http://xoticpc.com/. They let you customize laptops that you see on sites like newegg.com and their prices aren't too bad. Most of the ones that you would be interested in are right around the 6.5lbs range.

cattlebaron

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I agree, I have been amazed that almost nothing but the MBP fits into this area. I will take a look at xoticpc.com and thanks for the tip. Maybe someone else will have an idea. :)

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Well actually Gateway does have one "coming-soon" that BARELY fits your needs (6.3lbs) in the new M150 series which is supposed to have the option for a GF8600M GT;
http://www.gateway.com/programs/tmseries/

And it's also got the option for WUXGA ... on a 15" !!! But you need good eyes like mine to use that. :)

For HP the solutions you're looking for are in the Business section, I believe this may fit the bil, but it depends on if you think of the HD2600 as good enough of not, but 6.1 lbs;
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-321838-3329741-3355678.html

Most of the other 8 series have Quadros/FireGL cards, and the 6 Series has lower end graphics. You can also get WUXGA with it too. Probably pricier than the Gateway though.

But there's always the MacBookPro 15" at 5.4 punds if you wanna play around with Parallels;
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Lower reoslution option (but within your target) and LED backlit screen. Just depends on your comfort zone with MAC which can now be a Wintel rig too, but not quite the same as native PC-only.

I'd recommend you look at LG and Fujitsu and even Sony, they all do ultra-light very well. Just don't expect WUXGA out of them IMO.

Fujitsu is my odds on to have what you want, I'd check, but I'm leaving the office, wil check again later (going out for dinner).

cattlebaron

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Well, thanks for additional help Grape Ape! I will look into that GW coming soon. As for the HardwareBoss, its not whether I can carry more than 6.5 pounds around, but whether I want to. I toted a 10 pound gamer around for years but I don't want to now. After you throw in chargers, external harddrives (for some jobs), spare battery, etc., you can easily exceed 20 pounds. No harm in looking for light and powerful. And truly, I have been hitting the GYM. But more for running to catch my flight when they make sudden gate changes and give you 5 minutes to get there! ;p

I will probably opt for the MBP if nothing surfaces with similar specs. I bought one yesterday for my mom and loaded it up and played with it. Not a bad windows machine.

Seemingly on the eternal quest -- Cattlebaron

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003

That's alot of stuff your carrying. Has the extra wind sprints helped? In catching your flights?

cattlebaron

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I haven't missed any recently. But I think they have been taking it easy on me. The last 2 changes they gave me a whole 10 minutes, not the usual 5!

I have been looking at changing my computer bag to a roller kind to maybe offset the weight..... I am wondering what I will look like running through the airport with it whipping out behind me like a flag!