Dual core processor
Decent GPU
2GB RAM
Decent size hard drive
Nice shiny screen

* Weight and battery not an issue as it will hardly ever travel anywhere
* Noise :!: BIG :!: issue as I'm allergic to it
* Willing to pay for the right gear

What do you think? Any help you could offer on identifying quiet machines with decent screens would be greatly appreciated!

:evil: My rant for the day would be how magazine review hardly ever covers the aspect of noise. Yes, I know that a machine will be faster if you add more RAM or a faster processor - why, oh why is it so hard to let me know how much noise the beast makes. :evil:

Take a look at killernotebooks.com. They offer performance systems with quality support to go along with them. Note: they are a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I would recommend the Dell E1705 (nice screen and decent GPU), but they decided to do something funky with the fan so that it is dead quiet for a while until it heats up, but then you hear the fan until it cools.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
...and DELL is being sued for consumer fraud by the state of NY and CAL.

That always makes you feel good about a company when two attorney generals feel you are ripping off consumers.

You don't understand how bad I want an Executioner, but I can't afford the 2800 dollar price tag. I really hate going through a different company other than one I have recommended dozens of times. I guess PM me or e-mail me if there is somehting you can do.

I do have a question for you about the 5760 if that's what I end up doing: Will that notebook handle an 8800m card? And if so, how much will it cost me for it to be upgraded (through you?)?