Notebook CPU lineup

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Was wondering if there was a list or line up of mobile processors so I could know atleast a ROUGH idea of which is faster than the next. Yes. Yes. I realize it may depend on the app or benchmark running, but with Intel's Pentium M, Pentium 4, Celeron M , Core Duo and AMDs Turion's, X2 .... whatever etc etc... Its tough to know what is what.

I'm buying a new cheap laptop and I'd like to know what I should be looking for. Also, which is faster. 1 gig of 333MHz DDR memory or 1 gig of 533MHz DDR2 memory?

Tom's has one but I won't link it because it is very basic. They didn't include very many applications and didn't even use any games. Basically all you need to know is:

Core2Duo(mobile)>TurionX2=CoreDuo>Turion64>PentiumM/CelronM.

Core2 being the fastest. This list from experience is true for most applications. You are going to want to saty away from anything that isn't dual core since they will not provide any where near the performance of the other cores. I did not include Pentium 4 because even when turned into a mobile chip, they provide horrid battery life and are not worth the expense.

Right now Core2 is the way to go for max performance.

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
What's your price range?
Sorry. Should have included that from the start. Looking for super cheap. I know. I know. You can't get performance and pay $200. It's gonna cost money for the decent stuff. I realize that. But I really have no idea which CPU is better than the next. So is laptop A for $XXX a better deal than laptop B for $XXX? I wouldn't know. I'd like to stay at about $500. MAYBE $600 if it's a really good deal.

The couple notebooks I have found in my price range AND use dual core CPU use either the Core Duo T2030 or T2060 or an AMD X2 T52 or whatever it is.

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
The X2 T52 would be better in this situation. Both of the CoreDuos are really low end and probably not worth the money.
I was just wondering this.... hmmmm..... so the AMD X2 TL52 is all-around faster than Intel's Core Duo 2030 and 2060?

Yeah, it should be. The TL-52 is a low to midrange AMD chip. Both of those CoreDuo's are older architecture and VERY low end. The the AMD were up against a Core 2 T5500 or T5600 it would be a lot tougher call. In this case the X2 will be best.

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
I'm seeing a lot of great deals on notebooks with Intel 2030 and 2050's..... the X2 AMD are a little hard to come by. And anything with Intels 2300-2400 processors get a little too rich for my blood. ($700 range easy)

A TON of great deals on the Centrino M 1.8GHz's. How would these stack up to the 2030 and 2050's? You said those are very old low end dual core processors... so how do they compare to the single core PM's? And in terms of battery life?

CoreDuo's aren't exactly old, bad word choice on my part, but they are dual core compared to the single core pentium m which is older than the CoreDuo. In theory the CoreDuo will perform better than the Pentium -m, though I don't have much proof due to the PC world's lack of interest in mobile chips (performance chart wise). Performance all depends on what you plan on doing with your laptop. What type of programs do you think you will be running?

I also didn't see your question about memory earlier. DDR2 is the newer standard in memory. DDR is older. And with memory, the higher the mhz the faster the memory. The DDR2 533 will outperform the DDR 333.

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Thanks a ton for your help so far. I will not be playing many games with it. I have a desktop for that. Internet and Office apps mainly. I know I don't need anything special. But I guess I'm kinda spoiled... and that even though I'd be fine with a Celeron and 512MB of RAM..... I'm demanding better. :)

OK then. The CoreDuo's should be fine for what you plan on doing though the X2 would be better (not if you can't afford it).Go with the 2050 and at least 1 gig of RAM for good performance especially if you plan to go with VISTA.

Not bad at all. The T2300 will do fine for your needs. The GMA 950 is a little low, but that's from a gamers perspective. If your decide to play games, it will hand RTS games like WOW and C&C. Good luck with your new toy!