Geforce Go 7400 vs ATI Mobility X1400 - Please help

zore86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Okay, so here's the deal. I can get either of them for a similar price... but I know there are some inherent differences. I have been looking for benchmarks but I've been unable to find any.

So the 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory has the whole hypermemory which I realize is not good, but I still don't know how bad it really is.

The 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400 I know very little of, anyone care to share some points of view?

I am mainly going to play World of Warcraft and I wanna be able to play on full settings without any real loss of framerates. I have a 2GB RAM and a T5500 to run this on so the other parts are good enough, I am mainly concerned about the graphic cards.

Anyone care to share their great wisdom with me? Please :)

Killer_Notebooks

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
If the nVidia has dedicated memory that is the one to pick over the hypermemory for sure.

Here is a link to my Mobil GPU Comparison Page, which has at least the basics of low end cards like that.

I am not sure which video card WoW prefers as some games are optimized for one or the other, but if that is what you promarily want to use, I would look into that.

I am not sure what the requirements are for playing on Full Settings like you want to, but I might tone down my expectations of that class of card a little.

hershey1266

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

this may also help you, seems to me that the 7400 would have been faster if not for the 64-bit interface which is what keeps it from beating the x1400, but i dont no if the x1400 that was benchmarked was hypermemory or not. I am pretty sure the x1400 already has 128 dedicated and the other 128 is shared so its not completely bad. I have the x1400 in my new laptop and was able to play halflife 2: lost coast on high with hdr without AA at 1280x800 at about 28 fps and it was solid except in a few occasions. The ati card can also do HDR and AA at the same time granted it might be too low end of a card to even need that but anyway i would go with the x1400 especailly if it is cheaper than the 7400. I had to make a similar decision when choosing between the x1400 and the 7300 when purchasing my laptop.