Notebook recommendations for a noob?

DeviantAngel

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Ya...Used search and stuff, except nothing really "applied" to my situation so...Ya, I am looking for a new notebook, something to take to campus to simply take notes and stuff in class, and to game in my free time...But my problem is this...Its probably not that realistic, but it may happen, I have been referred to this forum, hundreds of times. I have looked at Dell, Alienware, HP-App, Toshiba, Sony, TigerDirect, Newegg, Killer Notebooks, ibuypower.com, and several others...Except, nothing is aligning with my price range for power. I don't want anything to the extreme, just high end. If I could find a notebook under $1,500 it would be great. I have *heard* and according to several benchmarks/tests that I've looked up that ATI mobile does not do as well as Nvidia's Go, and that Intel Core Duo is the way to get CPU wise...But simply I want a at least decent GPU, I want it to match up to or out class this x800XL I have, but I have barely any knowledge in comparing mobiles card and everything...And I play games like BF2, BF2142(Soon), and a few MMOs...Could anyone help suggest a good model/config/company?
This forum looks really dominated by Killer Notebooks..And, I dunno. I just feel insecure if I was to be investing a large amount of money and possibly gimped for it.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You know, I think you can get what you are after if you choose a core duo CPU instead of a Core 2 Duo.

Think about this once. The core duo is a rally good CPU. Buy the system with a little bit better everything else, and downgrade the CPU. In a year upgrade to the C2D and you are still golden. I mean really, for school isn't (2) 1.86 cores good enough?

I actually have a core duo trade in program and sometime I get core duo's to put in systems that I have very limited amounts of money invested in. Or get one off eBay from someone who has upgraded, I'll put it in a system for you. most of the time these CPU's on Ebay are guys like you and me who have upgraded and just don't need another CPU lying around. i have a ton of obsolete desktop CPus laying here waiting to go into projects that are never going to happen. Check eBay once.

DeviantAngel

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I dunno though now, I have been browsing more and people are elling me turion 64 x2 is better so now I have no idea...And I have been using http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html as my GPU benchmarks..lol....;.; this rig I am on now can play fine
Its a Intel P4 HT 3.0
768 ram
x800XL
rest don't matter much
but I want something newer and a little faster RAM/CPU wise than this but I don't wanna pay the omega laptop price for a gamer setup, just something that barely outdoes this...Sad ANd I saw that your notebooks only go to 54 mbps, why? I know it doesn't matter most of the time, but my campus supports the 108s in certain, designed game areas...:/
Thank you for taking the time to read/help me...If you get the chance..I dunno, cause I think I can get a good dv8000-dv9000 for about 1.2k...But I dunno...Thanks again for future help. :3 Respond to this with some kind of...benchmark power related info...I think in terms of sciene not "this card is stronger because its newer" more like "This has a better cache, etc etc"

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
BOSS, I did a K|n logo brand on a Zatoichi and now I am applying this "Mirage" pain tthat changes colors in different light and from different angles.

so far it looks really cool. I will post a pic when I am done.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I thought you already decided.
Here's a machine for $750
Integrated Radeon ® Xpress 1100
TL-50]http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=156035&AID=10375042&PID=249294&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.circuitcity.com%2Fccd%2FproductDetail.do%3Foid%3D156035&JSESSIONID=FYKVJXjn46y9zLWLQQJNvhTGJLvy6s!444895164!1159252501894]TL-50 X2

New Dell Coupons - Inspiron Notebooks
Note: These coupons override Dell's instant savings discounts.
20% off $999+ - Dell Coupon TG6D05MDH1HXS9
20% off $1,499+ - Dell Coupon WQT7Z96H2??NM2