Save Battery Life, Install Windows XP Patch

bgerber

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
In May of this year Microsoft released a patch for Windows XP SP2. The patch prevents battery drain problems when an internal or external USB 2.0 device is connected to a mobile computer and powered on. Find out about the patch and how to download and install it.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
THANX DUDE(s)! :trophy:

I'm about to go on a trip back east at the end of the month and I almost always have my Rollerball plugged in, so this will likely extend my Oblivion/DVD viewing time, and I might need it if the TV selection sux on the flight.

Thanks for the heads' up, just a quick question does this not automatically download itself, or is this like the M$ defender where you have to manually do all the upgrade crap (I have a valid copy of WinXP [came with my notebook as do most people's unfortunately [already have 2 legal paid for copies {Home SP1 and XP-Pro original (pre-SP)} as well]). I just HATE the phone home feature, and hog CPU cycles of M$' WGA crap. Download battery improvement to have their phone home software use up CPU cycles and power, poor trade-off because the WGA crap run when you're on AC too. :roll:

Anywhoo enough complaining about M$ I guess, just was curious if it downloads automatically if you have everything set to automatic update?

Thanks again! 8)

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
I'm updated on my laptop. Whatever M$ puts on their update web site. Don't know about this batt patch. Because most of the time I have my laptop plugged in. Time to get off my main PC. Since there is a storm outside. About time I got some rain.

JayJervey

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
This patch also drops your idle CPU temp on a desktop. When building my new system, I noticed my idle CPU temp jumped about 5 degrees C when I plugged in a USB drive. After this patch, it's back to normal. Awesome!!

:D

smittyhotep

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
The patch does nothing, or at least isnt noticible. my battery life hasnt swayed either way hevily enough for me to think its done anything.