The AMD Prophecy, and the demise of dominant market share.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
AMD spent SO much time reading their own press releases and slapping each other on the back, they forgot to think about designing for the future... and the future is NOW!

AMD "low voltage" roadmap.
May '06
AMD has also announced pricing for the upcoming energy efficient AM2 CPUs:
Energy Efficient Desktop Processors++: AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processors 4800+ ($671), 4600+ ($601), 4400+ ($514), 4200+ ($417), 4000+ ($353) and 3800+ ($323).
Energy Efficient Small Form Factor Desktop Processors+++: AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor 3800+ ($364), AMD Athlon 64 processors 3500+ ($231), and AMD Sempron processors 3400+ ($145), 3200+ ($119) and 3000+ ($101).

July '06
AMD slashes prices:
Mobile Athlon 64 4200+ drops from $389, and the 3800+ drops from $309 to $164.

Mobile Turion MT and MT series will drop from 5% to 25%, and the TL series will drop in October by 16%-25%.

AM2 Semprons will see a small 5%-16% cut, with no further cut being planned for October. Older socket 754 semprons will be cut by 14%-43% with a further 19%-35% cut in October as a "fire sale".

The FX-62 takes a 20% cut, and socket 939 Athlon X2 will drop between 42% and 57%. Single core Athlon 64's will drop 23% to 55%.

The freaking alarm clock is going off... better quit hitting snooze!

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I'm still waiting for somebody to review one of those low-voltage models! I forsee excellent overclocking, but I'm not sure. [H]ard OCP was "going" to do one, but it hasn't come for a month now...I'm not sure why they haven't been oficially released, or if they have been, where are they?

These dual-core price cuts are sent from above!

~Ibrahim~

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Pretty much the whole world is waiting on AMD.
Where's the "gamer" X2 notebooks... where are they?
We put our faith in you AMD, what did you do with it? You got fat as we shoveled you market share covered in whipped cream!

I mean, what is the point of a Turion X2 with embedded GPU? If I don't need a decent GPU then I probably don't need an X2. I am pretty sure any 2.0 Ghz CPU is overkill and can manhandle WORD documents, web surfing and hoking around with the average stuff.

Why the heck did AMD phantom release a CPU with no ODM channel partner support?
Why did they give a release date of 1st week in May when you said it best, "Where the heck is any of it first week in August?"
Why did they release a new socket with NO major upgrades aside from DDR2 memory - WOW... I mean... WOW!

Why doesn't someone from AMD read these posts and make me eat my words? Why don't they send me a Turion X2 and a machine I can test against the ONSLAUGHT of Intel CPU's overrunning there positions. YOU'RE ALL FREAKING TALK AMD! I'm sick of the pillow talk, time to put out.

Don't get me started [on the bench grabbing the O2 from Priest Holmes] {breath deep} don't get me started on AMD... I am ashamed of them.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Exactly!

Trying to put a GPU on a CPU doesn't seem feasible: A GPU has so many things that would be hard to incorporate onto a CPU+GPU combination like Pixel Pipelines, Shaders, etc. And the heat it would output would be astronomical. The only viable GPU+CPU option would be a budget GPU, faster than integrated, and in between low-end and mainstream. Or just low-end. After you get into mainstream, you hit some power and heat walls that will be difficult to overcome.

They need to those low-wattage products, before Intel quickly dominates the SFF/HTPC market with those kind of heat/power levels.

It is almost like a politician trying to promise something.

~Ibrahim~

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Looks like AMD got fat like Intel. They [AMD] are sitting on their fat butts. Intel will be releasing quad-core for servers and desktops later this year. AMD Quad-core Mid 07.

HardWareBoss

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
AMD Quad-core update. AMD will be tesing a ture Quad-core by the end of the year. Intels Quad-core . Is 2 Dual-cores. AMD is releasing what they call 4x4 by end of this year. Which is 2 Dual-core. But in mid 07 they will have 4 processes on one die. Hense true Quad-Core.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I wonder if AMD just fuigured that since the CPU isn't really the problem with computer speed anymore, that it is the hard drives, and the lack of the O.S. ability to handle a high amount of memory that they thought people would be content.

In all honesty, there is no need (right now) for Quad-core and little need for dual-core CPU's for the AVERAGE person. Gamers are a differnt power needs group altogether, and they have to have as much as possible of course, but I still think the CPU's is the least of our problems.

If I could order how technology would advance as far as what we NEED I would say.
1. Hard drive technology
2. Memory handling by the O.S.
3. Memory & Memory Controller Technology (including bus speeds)
4. GPU
5. CPU

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I do it like this, which is similar to yours

1. OS
2. Hard Drive Technologies (Please remove this last mechanical part out of our computers)
3. Memory Technologies (GPU's are already moving towards GDDR4, come on Corsair!)
4. Motherboard Optimizaton (BTX rulz!)
5. GPU
6.CPU

I may be going out on what I want over what I need. Well, I think dual-cores are viable for gaming, one CPU for the game, one for everything else.

Quad-Core is there, too, I think. One core for the OS, one for the operating system, and two for my main app, most likely a game.

~Ibrahim~