New Intel Core 2 duo notebooks

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I have a T7400 Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz in my hands as we speak set to test it in an Executioner model Thursday.

I believe their official release won't be until September.

hypoxia

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Personally, I'm expecting them on August 22nd. I've heard that was the release date from numerous sources. However, one THG article suggests that it may be as early as next week...

"The Core 2 Duo ... will officially debut on 27 July and if we believe some industry sources, Intel may be even announcing the ... Core 2 Duo T7000 ("Merom") on that day as well."

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/14/core_2_duo_benchmark_results/

hypoxia

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
"Intel may be even announcing the ... Core 2 Duo T7000 ("Merom") on that day as well."

I also just read another post on this board claiming that they would be released next week.

hypoxia

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Yah, I'm expecting them in week 30 or later as well. All of the reports I've heard that they will be released between July 23rd-27th have stated that they won't begin to ship until week 30 or later. It's speculated that they moved up the release date but not the ship date. I wonder why they would do that?

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Maybe they want a little teaser out there for the people thinking of going with AMD but they see that and think, "Oh, I only have to wait like another week for the Core 2 Duo to be out."

Or maybe they just don't want to get caught in the AMD X2 release fiasco.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Just an update for all the hardest core gamers.

I have tested the T7400 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo in my Executioner and it is running like a charm.

I will have benchmark results posted on my site, and will come back and put the link on this page.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Ok. I have some real basic benchmarks.
I am going to run the full gambit of PCMark'05 3DMark'05 & '06 later this week:

These are some excerpts from PCMark'05 specific categories. It looks like from just 1 test the CPU is about 10% faster and the memory efficiency is much better with a 26% improvement. Now this is the exact same system with just a change in CPU... identical in every way.
t7400_vs_t2600.jpg

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yes, I want to get a better machine to benchmark on. This was a customer's machine who sent it in because it wasn't working right. You can see the entire story in the tech support thread.

In a nut shell on a 1680 x 1050 resolution 17" monitor there were 3 columns of menu for PROGRAMS. I don't think there were any more progrmas available on the Earth to put on the thing. It came down to a driver on one of the FIVE anti-spyware/adware/virus/malware programs that were all loading at STARTUP.

And I know all of us need SIX or SEVEN web browsers.
Opera BETA
I.E. 7 BETA
Netscape
Firefox
AOL
I.E. 6
Maxthon

Oh yea, and as soon as you get a machine, the best thing you can do is load it up with every BETA driver you can find, even if it is not for this video card, if it's for something CLOSE... just use it, especially if you have no idea what you are doing.

Everyone knows BETA drivers automatically add such a noticable improvement to the system over the stable drivers I install. I have a whole slew of people that buy my systems and know what they are doing and tweak the heck out of them, but the key phrase there is, "know what they are doing".

They don't expect factory support on some machine they have wired out to the end of the galaxy on "Jimmy's home grown GTX driver for max framerate on [your favorite game here] that they downloaded from MAX3Dgigajoul forum or whatever.

So I should be getting a whole barn of these in and I will give you real 3DMark'05 & '06 and PCMark '05 scores as well as SuperPi and hopefuly a couple others.

I am considering walking the line with XP Pro X64 and trying it on one of these pigs.