driver/memory issues dv8000t (intel 945pm chipset)

lnpbgnr

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I recently purchased a hp dv8000t intel 945pm chipset. It came with windows xp home, and I upgraded to xp pro, and it went horribly. So i reformated the partition, and installed a "clean" versions of windows. i have everthing installed and no errors listed under the Device manager. But windows is reporting the wrong amount of ram, it says i have 256 when actually i have 1 gig ddr2 997 mhz. I cant run any games becasue they are to choppy and recieve a virtual memory error as well. Also i have the Intel duo processor, and in the device manager it says i have two cpu's, is that normal? I have updated all the chipset drivers from intel and hp, and still getting bad performance. Does anyone know of any XP pro issuses with this chipset getting windows to recognize the right hardware and ram?

lnpbgnr

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I downloaded the fix from intel. It didnt work.

Windows is reporting 997 mhz 256 mbs of ram. Before the xp pro upgrade it was reporting 1gig and 667 i believe.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
What exclamation points do you have in your System | Hardware window.

Right click MY COMPUTER choose Properties then HARDWARE tab then DEvice manager button.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I am assuming you have updated everything from the Windows update site.

Tell me what your virtual memory settings are at:
System Properties
Advanced Tab
Under Performance click Settings
Now click Advanced Tab
Under Virtual Memory click Change
Click the change button in the virtual memory section
The default under Windows NT is RAM + 12MB, under Windows 2000 and XP that was change to of (RAM * 1.5) and a max of (RAM * 3).

wshen you say the install upgrade of XP went horribly wrong, what does that mean?

virtual memory errors usually occur when virtual memory (aka hard drive area windows uses to boost the amount of memory your system has (in a a nutshell)) is corrupt.

Run a chkdsk on that disk and also look at the level of fragmentation on it for me.

Forkey

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
His issue was a corrupt Windows install. He actually had to reinstall Windows. I have gotten about 5 emails about this and I would say HP has an issue with their OEM install image, which is a really nice thing.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
That's true, to a point.

First try to upgrade (if they sent you actual install disks) it will save your settings and files etc.

Next, you could try a repair, but it is unlikely you have XP Pro and the repair console experrience so...

More than likely he's right... you're forked.

You will probably need to reinstall Windows. Did this happen after you tried an upgrade - install - or Windows update?

For anyone out there that doesn't know DO NOT install the MS Malicious Software removal Tool or the Genuine Advantage Tool from the Windows Update site.

They have known issues, one of them being FASLE POSITIVES for PIRACY. How many? 12 million to date! Thanks MS, another being system corruption as well as eating up your bandwidth as it PHONES HOME w/o your permission and send syour user data to MS.