Difference Between Laptop and Desktop DVD Burners???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp33

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I am using a fairly new gateway laptop with a philips sdvd8441 8x dvd burner. when burning dvds with pics and video there are no apparent errors while recording. when later attempting to read the discs with the same drive i am occasionally receiving cyclic redundancy errors and the drive fails to read particular files. if i try reading the same files from dvd or cd burned on the laptop on my desktop there are no problems and the files copy just fine. i questioned best buy's geek squad about it and they said that laptop drives are more "sensitive" than desktop drives and i should try burning discs at a slower speed to prevent read errors later. Is this true that i should burn slower to prevent read errors on a laptop burner or am i dealing with a bum drive? I've tried downloading differnet versions of firmware for this drive and nothing solves the problem with reading the discs that ive already burned that will not read on the laptop.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
A cyclic redundancy error means that the data the drive is trying to read is corrupted.

1st Make sure the CD/DVD is free from smudges and scratches.

When your drive tries to read these files is there a whirling or grinding sound to it?

What CD/DVD burning progam are you using?

Have you been also having buffer underrun errors while burning the CD's?

More than likely, if the disks won't read on the notebook, but will on the desktop it means, you guessed it... hardware malfunction.

Burning at a slower speed will probably help, but the main issue then would more than likely be the CD's themselves. Try changing the brand of CD first (as you probably want as many solutions before fighting about getting a new CD drive as you can). This may solve your problem.

To recover the data that is "lost" try this: CDCheck3

ScubaPete's DVD burning guides. This is a pretty good resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.