Is Dell's XPS M1710 The Fastest Graphics Notebook Computer Ever?

bgerber

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Dell's super cool XPS M1710 features a range of components designed to make it a graphics notebook superstar. Over the next week MobilityGuru will pull back the curtains on the M1710 to see if it is indeed the fastest graphics notebook ever.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I want one and I want one now lol. It looks like a beast of a laptop. First off, its not made of plastic! (mostly) It already has a 7900GTX, nice Core Duo (still 32 bit but ya know whatev)

OK it is a Dell but I like them, they are very good at what they do. I don't think I would buy a laptop from anyone else. I have yet to find another company who pairs the fastest true mobile (not these desktop types) processor with a UXGA screen and a pimpin video card. I have found companies with 2 of the 3, but no one else with all 3. Feel free to prove me wrong, im just givin Dell Props for a job well done on this laptop.

Rock on! cant wait for part II

phrenlee

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I just bought a system from xvxonline.com. The Monstruo-m™ A650.
Priced 4500 shipped.
It came with AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual-Core Processor and dual 100GB 7200RMP Raid 0 and dual DVDRW+-. I also got both 3-year on-site and accidental damage warranties. With an NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 GTX PCI Express 256MB DDR3 w/ Digital and TV Out and 17" WUXGA, I am sure that gaming won't be an issue.

I would like to see Tomshardware do a comparision. It would seem on paper that the xVx is a much better value. To see the performance numbers to back it up would be really nice.

Here is the complete system order:
ORDER DETAILS:
Item: Monstruo-m A650
Quantity: 1
Description: xVx Monstruo-m A650
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual-Core Processor w/ HyperTransport Technology - $884.00
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR at 400MHz - 2 x 1GB - $202.00
Hard Drive: 200GB (2 x 100GB) Serial ATA 7,200 RPM - $407.00
Optical Drive One: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo - $55.00
Optical Drive Two: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo - $120.00
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition w/Service Pack 2
Video: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 GTX PCI Express 256MB DDR3 w/ Digital
and TV Out
Mouse: None
Sound System: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - $92.00
Speaker System: None
Modem: 56K V.92 Performance Pro Modem
Warranty Program: 3-Year xVx Luxury Warranty w/ Lifetime 24/7 Toll-Free Phone Support and Onsite Service
Power Protection: None
All-In-One: None
Motherboard: VIA K8T890 + VT8237A Chipset
Additional Storage: External USB 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive Network Adapter: Integrated High Performance Ethernet Adapter
Bluetooth: None
Additional Peripherals: 110V/220V Autoswitch AC Adapter and Power Cord - $105.00
TV Tuner: None
Five-Star Care: 3-Year xVx Five-Star Care
Accidental Damage Service - $280.00 Media Center Enhancements: None Display One: 17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200) Wide-Screen Display w/ Super Clear Glossy Surface - $80.00
Mobile Stransport: Standard Carrying Bag Shipping Method: FREE FedEx Ground Delivery - 3 to 5 business days Monstruo-m
A650 - $2290.00 Price (each): $4,515.00
Item Total: $4,515.00

Subtotal: $4,515.00
Shipping (null): +$0.00
Grand Total: $4,515.00

scottkli

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
The real question is - is it? Can it handle top of the line games, Apps etc.
I think with the combination of the T2600, 7900GTX, 2GB Ram, and 7200Rpm drives, its pretty capable. Comparing it to what I like to refer to as hybrids - desktop conversions, it might be a little lacking, like with The Monstruo-m™ A650 and Alienware m7700. Alienware touts the FX-60, Same type of monitor as the M1710, 7800GTX, 2GB DDR400, 7200rpm drives and gets 200+ points higher on the CPU test, 600+ on the memory test. No info on the other tests yet. Both come in at the Sub $5000 range unless you add extras. For the price I think they both can do everything equally well. Who's fastest at it I would bet the Hybrids would win that battle.

In reguards to the article and reviews to come, what kind of temps are being produced by these top of the line machines. Im insterested in CPU, GPU temps and temps measured at the bottom of the case. Its not everyday that you'll be sitting with this on your lap playing an hour of BF2, but sometimes you might just get the urge too. Also how does it handle programs like 3DMax, Maya etc. that could utilize the Dual Cores?

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
You made a good buy. I was looking at the same system from hypersonic-pc.com. They have some nice custom paint jobs on their units.

The Dell is a nice machine, not bad, that is for those who haven't looked around elsewhere.

I'm sure core duo is the next step, but I would still put my money on a clevo based system with an fx-60. They will upgrade to the 7900 gtx any day now.

It would be good to see this new Dell go head to head with your machine too. I have a reserved opinion which will win!

Enjoy your new rig! :D

phrenlee

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
It is supposed to arrive Friday. I will be interested to see how responsive it is. Maybe I will do some benchmarks. <grin>

It is replacing my zd7000. It has served me very well for the last two years.

The only thing lacking in the system from xVx, was 4gb max ram. That would of made it perfect for me.

As for the Dell system, I have a strong feeling that with coupons/deals, you will be able to get a smoking deal. So, I am confident that the 4k system as tested will sell for 2k at some time. At that price, the Dell system is a tough bargain to pass up. Oh well..

mat347

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I have the XPS2 with 7800GTX OC to 440. I'm hoping we get some inside shots and temps in part 2 of this review. I get no artifacts, but my temps get close to 80C on the GPU, a little to hot IMO. The heat pipes work well enough, but the fans do not spin fast enough to get the extra air needed. I wonder if they changed anything??

phrenlee

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I checked out hypersonic-pc.com. I remember looking at them when shopping for my rig. I liked the fact that you could get it without an os. They also have some awesome paint customizations. A similarly configured system cost 400 more on their site ... and ... I was really turned off by the fact that you spend ~5K on a system and they want to charge you an extra 100.00 for a dead pixel gaurantee!?

If I had the extra cash and I wanted an awesome customized paint job, I would of definitely bought my system from them.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I am actually using a zd7000 right now. I just upgraded my ram last month and was looking to swap out my hard drive. The dvd burner is screwed though, for some reason the firmware doesn't like dvd+rw media.

You might be happy to know that the 7900 gtx will be offered as an upgrade for $350. I got this info from xVx just now. You'll need to send your unit in for them to do it however. They also let you do custom paint jobs from Smooth Creations without voiding the warranty.

You are right, $100 does suck for dead pixel insurance, but they do seem to have a solid warranty and tech support, and they have always offered the most options for customization that I have seen.

bgerber

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
This is Barry Gerber. I wrote the M1710 story. Thanks for your input up to now. We'll do temps for sure. We're a little limited in games by what we've already tested (so we can do comparisons), but we'll do our best to challenge the XPR and the Go 7900. As for inside shots. Sure. We've been trying to get some of the hot alternatives, but most of the vendors aren't cooperating. As good as their products might be, some are probably too small to have a whole machine free for testing and evaluation. :) Anyway, keep the comments coming.

phrenlee

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
The zd7000 is an awesome machine, IMHO. I upgraded to 2Gb too. I am really impressed that they are still holding their value on ebay.

I am glad to know that they upgrade to 7900. I will definitely consider it in a few months <grin>.

Has anyone noticed a difference in performance running Raid 0 on 7200 laptop drivers? I have upgraded my laptop progressively from 4200 -> 5400 -> 7200 and everytime I have noticed the difference.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I don't like it when my laptop's fans start to scream either, but after about a year I opened up my unit and did some cleaning - lucky, the vent holes had some blockage and the fan blades were full of dust. Can of air fixed that.

No problems since.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Barry, vXv have a 30 day free trial offer on their products. You can get a top clevo system from them and do a shootout!

Just get your boss to approve the p.o. 8)

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
My MAIN objection to other brand laptops, as a previous poster referred to as hybrids, is that they lack battery life. Ok i realise most ppl who purchase these intend to be teathered to a wall most of the time, but I want to be able to roam for near 3 hours on a battery. Last I heard top end hybrids die off around 90 min, for me thats unacceptable.

Other than that I give them an A+ for mixing a FX60 in a mobile chassis.

phrenlee

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I agree with your point about poor battery life. The new dell Latitude D620 looks really nice as a powerhouse with good battery life and decent weight (6lbs). It supports max ram of 4gb. I have not found a cheap source for 2gb single stick ram. 2K for a 4gb upgrade from dell.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
You are lucky if you get 90 minutes with one of those, doing what I suspect one would be doing - my machine gets an hour tops on battery before windows elegantly shuts it down.

Then again the only time I am ever "on" battery is when I happen to get a brownout or a power sap 8)