Problem with function-key with Acer/Samsung laptop

bowdo

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
I have an ACER laptop model TM4152LMI with Windows XP installed.

The problem is the function key acts as if it is being held down, therefore
a section of the keypad turns into a number pad. I have had the same problem with another Samsung laptop, and fixed it with a format, however this seemed a little overkill for solving the problem, I just got frustrated.

The keypad works as normal if you hold down the function key, as if its role has been reversed. It seems to be the same as the scenario of holding down shift as oppose to hitting caps-lock, however there doesn't seem to be a 'caps-lock equivalent' for this situation.

The problem started after adding a ps2 keyboard to the system, and then removing it. The frustrating part is the laptops keypad works the way it should with the ps2 keyboard plugged in (but this defeats the purpose :) ).

I have tried plugging the keyboard back in, rebooting, removing it, rebooting again, etc, to no effect.

As far as I can tell this is a windows problem, I was just wondering if there was a nice easy fix for it. (ie, just a simple key combo to disable it)

Thanks in advance :)

purplejbaker

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
yer a life saver. I've had this problem for a while. Wasn't a big deal since I have a back up wireless keyboard, but using the installed keyboard was a pain. It works now...yay!

Traian_51

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I solved the same problem with the Fn key for an Acer Laptop, just PRESSING Fn + NumLk. Thanks to the community ! I am smiling againg. ;) Traian

Krz296

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I have the same problem, but I don't have NumLock onmy keyboard...no number pad. Is there an alternative to fix the issue? Very annoying.

lurchybold

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014
Hi, I have an Acer travelmate 5742 and wish to disable my fn key, fn+NumLock doesn't work for me, is there another combination or method that can be used?

shweta123

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
didnt open my lapy for few days thinking that the key got stuck :( ..
so happy now :) .. thanks a ton :) :) ..
it was "Fn + NumLk"..

pblocs2u

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

combatmeow

Estimable
Mar 10, 2015