PS2 Support Not Returning to PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
yeah thats fine... but they better bring it back when they stop selling PS2s! ps2 was like the biggest console in a while, it would be a shame to see all those games retired to coaster duties...

riquisimo

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
WOW. Thats stupid. DS was backwards compatable with GBA, PS2 with PS1, Wii with GCN. GBA with EVERY gameboy iteration before it. Even a few xbox games played on 360.

WHY abandon its thousands of ps2 games? I personally would rather buy a blu-ray drive on my PC for 100, and just play my games on PC/360

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
Soldier37 thank you!! Why are people still clinging onto ps2 games? chances are if you like playing ps2 games and/or have a ton of them you also own a ps2. I didn't buy my ps3 to play ps2 games. Let the era of the ps2 go

G

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that the PS3 will still be compatible with PS1 games. This only affects PS2.

For me, the best thing about the backwards compatibility is the number of other hassles that it helps alleviate the number of devices I have hooked up. I use my HDTV as my computer monitor, which means that on the AV racks around it, I currently have my stereo components (speakers, tuner, receiver, etc), a tower computer, my cable box, a PS3, an xBox 360, a gamecube, an NES, a TurboGrafx-16, a printer, a flatbed scanner and various other small items (3 external HDD, a couple USB hubs, a fair number of notebooks used to keep track of whatever project I'm working on). I do have a Dreamcast and SNES sitting in boxes nearby and ready to plug in and play, but it's a pain finding a place to put them while they are in use.

I don't list this as any attempt to come across as bragging, since I find the collection pretty pathetic myself, but it is just to demonstrate why some people do care about backwards compatibility.

boju

Distinguished
I understand what is said about the point of going backwards. There are valid points to both sides of this debate.

Personally I would think it be more convenient to have one unit to play all your favourite games and to also save room in your entertainment cabinet if space is an issue.

I've copped it on the nose and accepted. Pre-ordered my ps3 slim today.

Luckily for me I have an older ps2 so it might just look alright sitting the ps3 on top. Good luck trying to stack either slim versions - Ps3 slim with curved top, ps2 with a cd top tray -_-

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Ok so there it is no Ps2 cap, so keep your ps2 then. I'm interested in whether the hdd is removable and power bricking, that's even bigger questions than PS2 cap. Their PS2 emulator isn't that good to begin with, they never focused on fixing those problems. Its just like the original xbox to the 360 cap, they dropped before the first year. There are already Pc emulators that are very close to run at the same frames as the PS2 anyways and with a bluetooth doggle you can use your PS3 controller for the PC, just remap the buttons.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
if there was not a PS2 emulator for PC then a lot of people would be very outraged right now. hopefully Sony will not be stupid and shut that down.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Some games are just not disposable, like RPG's. For example, I have a 75-hour save of Xenosaga III that I will never ever ditch.

PS2 compatibility is not a huge factor for me, but if I were ever to buy a PS3 it would have a bit of an influence.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
They could've designed the new PS3 slim with upgrade option to play PS2/PS1 games with upconversion or higher resolution... They could price the upgrade chip/card something like $100. This way whoever wants backwards compatibility, gets it.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
I played PS2 games on the PS3 only the first year of the PS3 when there wasn't much out. I haven't played PS2 games since, they are old and I don't need to beat something 80x and get every little items. I did retire my PS2, which still work fine somewhere in the basement. Plus they don't look that good anymore compare to games in HD. But since I got the orginal 20gb PS3 I can go back, but I don't. Odd that most early adapter don't really care for PS2 BC but the people that don't have one always make an excuses to not to buy one.

Ok I herad story you don't have to worry about memory card, alot of JRPG and nice to have HDMI output for PS2 games.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ie49589[/nom]Why you ask? To cut PS3's cost of course. And to force those who still wanna play PS2 games to buy a PS2 console while netting Sony an extra $100 bucks for each one.Remember, Sony like Microsoft or Nintendo are COMPANIES first and foremost. They don't make consoles and games just for fun or because they feel like it. They do it because the want to make money.As simple as that.[/citation]

Do you think Sony makes money with PS2 hardware sales?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
It's clear, that PS3 hardware and concept in general was "fail". Problems:

1) no backward compatibility
2) high power consumption
3) cost
4) game developers don't like its architecture (!)

And that coming from a company that had like, what, 70% of the market? Unbelievable.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Falcard. They already have one and with each release it works better and better. Already many of the AAA titles run just fine on my laptop. Check out PS2X (I think that's what it is called. Ill double check when i get home)

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Falcard. They already have a commercial emulator for the PS2 that works pretty well. Already many AAA titles work just fine on my laptop. Check out PS2X (I think that's what it is called. Ill double check when I get home)

If you want to play ps2 games, buy a ps2. Do not forget that early customers also paid much more for their system. Personally I bought mine because i had a choice between a blueray/dvd player for $600 and the ps3 for $600. Seemed like an easy choice to make for me. As for playing the old games.. why? If i had that desire I would fix my ps2.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
the PS3 has been out for a long time now and anyone who plays games has moved on to the next generation of consoles by now so IMO backward compatibility is not needed anymore. if they didn't take it out they wouldn't have been able to have the 299.00 price tag they have right now. like they said the PS2 costs about $100.00 anyway so whats the problem? if that's still too much get it cheaper off ebay or at a flea market or something

the excuse of having to hook up a ps2 to a tv with the ps3 is a pretty sad excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.