browser freeze up

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
My brother has reported the following problem to me. When he browses the web, his computer will quite frequently freeze up. The system is a 900MHz Athlon on a ECS K7S5A board with 512MB of PC133 running Win2k with all updates installed. The computer had been running for over 6 months without any problems. This issue has just spring up within the last month. Originally I had built it with 256MB of Crucial ram, but he added another 256MB of generic. I thought this could be the problem but he insisted he had the additional ram in there for atleast 2 months before the freeze ups started. So next I figured it was something with his IE v6. I checked for any updates on the MS web site (none). I then dl'd Netscape for him. Guess what, same problem. This problem doesn't seem to be stricly hardware related... since I can run the system hard with games like Serious Sam, benchmarks, etc and it will be just fine. The temp runs about 45 C, so that isn't an issue. It's only when you surf with a browser that it locks up! The only other thing that comes to mind would be to reinstall the integrated NIC driver. Anyone have any suggestions or seen something this bizarre?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by alc101ma on 03/11/02 01:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

OldBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
I would also check for updated NIC drivers. Is he running a firewall?
I know Zone alarm can be quirky sometimes. It does not like being
uninstalled either.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Maybe it's the sites he visit...so does it happen on any site? Have you tried anything else besides browsing that would use your nic or internet connection? (like playing games over the internet or ftp downloads)

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Do you have McAfee Virus Scan/Active Shield installed? I had similiar problems until I removed that beast and install Norton Antivirus instead.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

alc101ma

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
It happens on any site. It even happened while I was updating from Microsoft haha. I haven't tried just running something like ftp yet. That might be hard to test though, since I don't know if it will freeze frequently enough... I might have to end up dl'ing a whole lot of junk files to test this.

OldBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Does he use any kind of instant messaging?

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
You should list the software that is running while he is surfing (like programs in your systray). It could be some software conflict if you rule out hardware problems with your nic.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

carpenter

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
My browser was freezing up too. After talking to microsoft I found a program called cmesys. that was afecting my browser. Microsoft told me , after tying other things first, to go into msconfig. and un check box's to see if I could isolate the problem. Under the start up tab I found by unchecking the cmesys program box that my browser did'nt freez up anymore. I would like to know how to delete this program thanks carpenter.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Seems like you have some spy-ware on your computer.

<i>Cmesys.exe (Gator)

Background program which is part of the Gator GAIN software (Gator Advertising and Information Network). Gator GAIN is what we call adware (advertising spyware). Gator GAIN is used by software manufacturers to enable them to offer you the FREE use of their software – instead, they receive advertising revenue through the advertisements displayed by the Gator GAIN add-on whenever you are using their software.

Recommendation :
We are against all adware. Download <A HREF="http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html" target="_new">Ad-Aware</A> from our Downloads area and use it to remove Gator and any other adware or spyware. Note, however, that in some cases removing adware will totally disable the application which installed it, and this maybe an application which is important to you, so you may want to initially only disable this with Startup Manager while you ascertain how Gator Gain got into your PC.</i>

<A HREF="http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_c.htm" target="_new">TaskList</A>

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Thanks for posting that page, man. I'm gonna add that link for the Task List to my site. Nice find... :smile:

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> - My Windows XP-based Website</font color=red>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I get lucky sometimes :smile: . I find the list pretty useful, especially when I forget what program is running in the back.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

carpenter

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
Sorry I took so long to answer back. Ok I ran ad-aware which will tell me that gator is there, it will clean it in front of me, and the same goes for double click. What Ad-aware won't clean up is the cmesys. in msconfig. which is causing discomfort with my os. What happens is I can check the box to bypass this program but every time that I start the computer, It tells me that there is something missing in my msconfig. and to restart, which I bypass and go on with my business. So I'm looking for somthing a little more than ad-aware. Thanks Carpenter