Norton Anti-Virus ERROR Message...

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
I have WIN 98 on main HDD and use Norton System Works 2002 with Norton Anti Virus 2002 to scan my 100K file HDD.(20GB HDD).
When the scan of all the files on the HDD reaches about 90,000 files, the following Norton ERROR message pops up:
"Norton Anti Virus was unable to scan your computer for infections. The virus scan has failed because a critical error occured during the scan."
Does anyone know what this means and when I used Norton System Works 2000, the NAV Scanned my entire HDD just fine and I saw no error messages like this ever.
Thank you.

OldBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Have you used the liveupdate? Also try increasing the size of the log file in Norton Anti-virus.
Do you have a fixed size swap file? Increasing the size sometimes helps.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
<A HREF="http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/b69c799adfa31ecc85256aa30052f4d0/b2ee58edc926c79988256ad10057f8d4?OpenDocument" target="_new">Click.</A>

<i>Situation:
When you run a manual scan in Norton AntiVirus 2002 (NAV), you see the error message "Norton AntiVirus was unable to scan your computer for infections. The virus scan failed because a critical error occurred during the scan." This happens during the scan.

Solution:
We have seen some cases where clearing the Internet Explorer History and Temporary Internet Files folders has solved the problem. In other cases, running Windows Scandisk has fixed the problem. If that does not work, then open NAV Options and uncheck compressed file scanning.</i>

You should run Norton Disk Doctor to check for disk errors before scanning. Did you know what file it stopped at? Maybe Nav has trouble with corrupted compress files or maybe too large of a compressed file (just a guess since they recommend disabling it).

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

OldBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Good info. Thanks. I had similar problem with Norton 2001 and it would
always hang in its own directory. I reinstalled it and did the live update
and never had the problem again. Norton AV 2002 has never burped.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I'm still running NAV 2K for so long and the only problems I got was that it doesn't like corrupted virus definitions. The NAV protect would give BSOD then hang, so I would have to reboot to safe mode and update my virus defs again. I'm sticking with the 2K version because of the low memory that the NAV protect uses on this old machine I'm using. :smile:

OldBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Even with some problems with NAV, in my book, it is the best out right now.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Agree, I use to use McAfee (long time ago) and I can't remember why I switched to NAV but I'm glad I did.

My system has been virus free for 839 days!

OldBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Several months ago I received an E-mail from a friend and Norton went ape.
I called the friend and asked what was in the message and she hadn't sent it.
Yep. Worm. She had the latest McAfee def files installed but it didn't find it.
She went out and bought Norton AV, uninstalled McAfee, installed Norton and it
found over 39 bad files. Now she is a believer.