VIA 4in1 4.37v

stashu

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
I need a VIA IDE Master Bus Driver that will work with my Sony 24x/10x/40x CD-RW. The most recent driver seems to leave microsoft as the default driver. My CD-RW can burn but freezes on verifing the data. If I put a Software CD in it just ejects it, so it's sending but not receiving. Anyone run across this problem and know a fix. The VIA Arena forum just ignores my requests for an answer. :mad:

OldBear

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
What OS are you using?
Have you tried a driver download from Sony?

:smile: <font color=blue>You get what you pay for....<b>a</b>ll advice here is free.</font color=blue> :smile:

stashu

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
WinMe and Sony told me on the phone that there is no driver, plug & play, and to get in contact with the MB manufacturer, that they couldn't help me.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In addition to the other questions:

Is DMA enabled?

Have you updated the drive firmware?

Are there any other devices on the cable?

Have you tried swapping out the cable for a new one?

What burning program are you using?

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

stashu

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
DMA is enable, both in bios and install on driver.
It's a brand new cable that came in the retail box with the software B's Gold. There is no other devices on the cable.
4.37 is the newest driver. Via doesn't have any answers ether but alot of people are complaining of similar problems.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, stashu ...

Is there any way that you can add some extra information about your system to the post, such as the model and version of the mainboard, etc?

We're still operating mostly in the dark, here.

I'm aware that many people have complaints about VIA, and this <i>could</i> be because of the driver set. On the other hand, there might be other problems with your system that are interfering with the CD-RW.

I'm running with the VIA 4.37 4-in-1 drivers on my backup system, with a Plextor CD-RW and an Acer CD-ROM on the secondary channel. In WinXP, with DMA enabled. Neither device has exhibited a problem.

IMO, 90% of the problems you might see in a typical help forum are due to user error. While that might not apply to you, I don't think that is an unusual ratio vs actual driver problems for many forums of this type.

Some optical devices do not work well with VIA or AMD chipsets with DMA enabled. Do you see the same problem with the Sony CD-RW if you change the settings to PIO mode?

Again ... more information, please. Sometimes it is impossible to do more than make a random guess at the source of a problem without specific information about a user's system.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Under XP, I had major problem with the 4.37-4.35 drivers. I kept either getting corruption, bad/failed cd's, blue screens.

Soon as I didn't load the 4n1's, every single problem just vanished. No forwarding address, no trace. Just gone.

And, Hdtach says I still crank across my IDE channels with the hard drive (48meg/sec; 120gxp), so I don't sweat it.

Now, the Winme side, I run the 4.37's and the mini-port driver. It doesn't have a glitch either, but since I don't spend vast amounts of time on that side, I don't truely *know*.